oil change and shroud - should I be mad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attitude is attitude at any business. It use to be that inexperience was turned into experience by accepting more responsible jobs instead of placing apprentices at more important jobs. Blame the business, more than the labor. I do.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of all their not technicians, their young kids that are barely taught the basics. I know I worked with those kids 30 years ago, when cars/trucks were simple. Let me ask you guys something, do you think Ferrari, or Rolls Royce would turn loose an 18 year old butt head on your $300,000 vehicle? I don't think so. Sorry guys, but it's your own fault, thinking that your getting Journeyman level mechanics to do your oil change, especially at places like Jiffy lube and such. Remember how you were at 18, didn't care about much, besides your next party, or when your girlfriend called you over for sex! Next time do it yourself, or pay a real mechanic!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

So you're saying it's my fault for expecting the ford dealer to do a proper oil change including reinstalling whatever they uninstalled? What? I've actually done it myself by the way but sometimes life is just too busy for me and I have to rely on the dealer. And when I was 18 I sure as hell would put something back together the way I found it. I guess I expected too much of myself when I was young. Maybe I should let my kids know it's okay to not give a crap about doing their job right. I thought I've heard it all!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No your taking this post the wrong way. I agree the dealer should hire and train young people the right way or get rid of them. I wish I could say when you bring your baby into the dealer for something as simple as an oil change, everything would turn out perfect. But the fact is, their trying to compete with places like Jiffy lube and other bargain places. The old saying holds true unfortunately you get what you pay for. Be mad at me if you must, but realize quality never comes cheap, even something as mundane as an oil and filter change. In this world we have Nobel prize winners, and burger flippers. Hopefully the guy that does your oil change next time is somewhere in the middle! End of my rant!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Daniel Wilson

Reaction score
Take it as a sign to replace it with a real skid plate!

Suggestions on such an item?

Ah, found this discussion ... whose link I'm not allowed to paste ... recommending well, I can't link to the item either.

but it's RCI Metal Works and the plate sets for the 09-14 F-150s are supposed to work.

Not cheap parts, but starting at 10 gauge steel, it wouldn't be.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attitude is attitude at any business. It use to be that inexperience was turned into experience by accepting more responsible jobs instead of placing apprentices at more important jobs. Blame the business, more than the labor. I do.

I’ve been driving and buying new vehicles for 49 years - I’ve dealt with a lot of new-car dealer service departments.

Almost any dealership can sell you a new vehicle at a decent price. It is the service department that keeps the customers coming back - or drives them away.

Over the years, I have had miserably poor service from a variety of dealerships (warranty and customer-pay). I have also had excellent service.

It never ceases to amaze me how new-car dealership owners and managers fail to realize that poor service drives customers away. Not just from the service department, but also from buying another new vehicle there, or recommending the dealership to someone.

Bad service often results in the customer telling others about the terrible dealership - even when the sales process was very good. The ability to post on line reviews and ratings has added a new dimension to getting the word out on poor service.

New-car service departments often charge an obscene amount for labor, and then try to gouge the customer with the classic “shop supplies charge” and short-cut the work. The mechanics try to race and beat the clock on flat-rate work, and often don’t do the job right.

Last summer I had a miserably poor service experience at my selling Ford dealership service department, which caused me to stop going there. I received an email survey from Ford and I was brutally honest regarding the poor service and lack of concern by the service department. I included my personal information and thought the dealership would call me. Never heard a word.

Too many people make excuses for poor service. How many on this forum breathe a sigh of relief when they take their vehicle to the dealership for repair, and it’s actually done right and on time? Shouldn’t be that way - good service should be the rule, rather than the exception.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suggestions on such an item?

Ah, found this discussion ... whose link I'm not allowed to paste ... recommending well, I can't link to the item either.

but it's RCI Metal Works and the plate sets for the 09-14 F-150s are supposed to work.

Not cheap parts, but starting at 10 gauge steel, it wouldn't be.

Yup. RCI is correct.

The Raptor transmission skid plate works on the 18+ models.
I have yet to figure out if earlier Raptor transmission skid would fit the 15-17s.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes you should be mad.

The 2 worst services I had:

A local tire place in Florida, forgot to tighten the driver's side front tire lug nuts after oil change and rotation. Tire nearly fell off going down the parking lot.

A Yamaha dealership didn't tighten the drain plug on my girlfriend's R6. Luckily it fell out at low speed near a grocery store. Oil drained out all over the rear tire. She was able to turn in and stop without issue.