Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In regards to it not starting....cant I disconnect the sensor and then try to start it. Because then the computer wont send it into limp mode.??? Would this work?

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, not to just through money at a problem but I found a radiator on craigslist for $30 only 10 min away I am thinking about getting. Mine has over 240,000 on it and that might be my circulating problem

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK....a little progress. I disconnected the sensor under the intake manifold and the truck started right up, a little rough but it started.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think that just disconnecting the connector would have no effect if its already in limp mode but you could try. my suggestion to disconnect the battery to reset it if its already in limp mode.

as far as a used radiator I would first remove the two hoses on your present rad and run water from a hose to see what kind of flow you have.
Also do that to the used rad if you plan to by it'

Also consider replacing both hoses and the lower hose can be a pain to remove

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK....a little progress. I disconnected the sensor under the intake manifold and the truck started right up, a little rough but it started.

good see if you can get a resistance reading on the sensor

also check your temp gauge with the sensor disconnected post the readings

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for the starting issue you may want to check fuse 2 and 18 under the hood
and fuse 2 and 30 under the dash.

you can also try spraying a small amount of starter fluid or carb cleaner into the intake to see if the engine fires but again just a small amount

Checked fuses...all good

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok..more to report. When I disconnected the temp head sensor it would run fine only for maybe 10 sec and then die but the red warning light was lit for the low oil pressure/ high coolant temp. I sprayed electrical cleaner in the plugs and reassembled it. The truck now starts as before with all the same problems. The temp gauge starts in the middle and in 20 sec or so climbs to the max. But flow still seems to be the problem IMHO, hence the new radiator purchase. Just waiting for the guy to get back to me. And if thats not it, I'm only out $30 or I can put it back on CC.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as radiator blockage goes, could I just remove upper and lower hoses, put my garden hose in upper and see how it flows out the lower?