Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That one is the cyl head temp sensor and it does send the signal to the PCM
That was why I suggested this morning to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM.
You instead disconnected the sensor which removed the problem and allowed you to start.

My question is do you want to installed a used sensor from your old engine you would you think it best to install a new sensor.

keep me posted

I only used the other one for testing. I am definitely putting in a new sensor

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this thread has helped immensenly

im having almost the exact same issues. absolutetly no sign of overheating except the gage creeping up then pegging out and suv going into limp mode. ... let me know if that sensor works for you. thats about the only thing i havent changed just becuase i didnt want to take off the intake.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And the results that everyone has been waiting for.........Drum Roll Please..............

My calculations were in done in ambient temperature instead of operating temp IE 194 deg

A proper ohm reading at 194 deg is K3.7 ohm's

My new sensor at ambient temp of 62 deg f is K26.6 ohm's

My spare sensor at ambient 65 deg f is...........K30.41

The one in the truck now at 65 deg f is...........K3.557 Ohm's

So there you have it. If you have this problem check the resistance at ambient temperature, not operating, the resistance that is. If your getting anything less than lets
K20 ohms in 80 deg or less of ambient temp it's your sensor. From my numbers here you should see where I am going with this. Also, I found an excellent video on youtube of a mechanic removing the intake manifold. So if no one has a problem I will gladly post the link here. Since I am working in the day it will take me a few nights to get this done, but I will be done by Friday. Again the youtube video is excellent for the intake removal. I will be replacing the manifold gasket as well as plugs and sensor. Gaskets cost me under $40 and the sensor was $20 plus the plugs. The coils I replaced a few weeks back with Accels and the cost me $176 for all 8 from Summit.
I would like to say thanks a lot to all the guys here helping me out. This was greatly appreciated. If you are near Mukwonago WI I will buy a ya a few at the bar

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
kindly post the link to the video I tend to keep them on file for future use

And thank you for the up-date

the item was mailed today hopefully you have it by Friday

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok so I changed the cht. I got lucky and was able to get to it without taking manifold off. still having same issue. one thing I noticed...my upper radiator tube does not get hot almost like no water moving...ive burped over flow tank...ran it without thermostat..still over heating. something else I noticed...after changing cht temp gauge goes to half without even starting the truck....im assuming water pump next? here is a pic of the cht I changed

5fa8957e5685730d379a08ee9c8cbd5e.jpg

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so waited almost 2 hours needle still pegged and hot temp flashing. started truck at took off upper radiator hose and water came pumping out, so water pump ok (i think) so i guess next step would be that rear temp sensor. i already changed out the one on the front of the engine the cylinder head temp sensor. any tips on changing that one...im assuming i will have to take the manifold completely off to get to it

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wcm7823

Did you get the codes read. Those codes will give some information that will help give you a better idea as to what to check.