P2198 and misfire on all driver's cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichiganMan

Reaction score
Hey all, the latest gray hair from my Navigator. Running like shit, misfiring, reading codes P0300, 305, 306, 307, and 308. P2198 indicates an O2 sensor issue on bank 2.

Before I tear into it, I'm thinking a bad O2 sensor could cause multiple misfires? I know a rich cylinder could hose an O2 sensor, but since I've got codes on all holes on that side, plus the O2 from that side, I'm looking at the sensor as the common part.

Where exactly is the O2 sensor? From what I understand, there are two of them per side - any idea which one is 2198?

Many thanks!

B

bedrck46

Its always nice not to have to guess what year your Nav is and any other information you can give It make it easier to answer your question. Only thing I could tell was its a 2nd Gen and that covers 4 model years

P2198 is Lack Of Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Switch, Indicates Rich

Bank 1 is always the side with the #1 plug so yours is the (Bank 2)drivers side front O2 sensor its before the cat # 2 is after the cat

B

bedrck46

P2198
Description: A heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

Possible Causes:
Electrical:
Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
Water in the harness connector
Open/shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged powertrain control module (PCM)

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the mass air flow (MAF) sensor
Vacuum leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Camshaft timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

P0300 - Random Misfire

Description: The random misfire DTC indicates multiple cylinders are misfiring or the powertrain control module (PCM) cannot identify which cylinder is misfiring

Possible Causes: Camshaft position sensor (CMP)
Low fuel (less than 1/8 tank)
Stuck open EGR valve
Blocked EGR passages

Diagnostic Aids: One or more EGR passages may be blocked or partially blocked. If this is the case the misfire detection monitor indicates the EGR port to check for possible blockage

B

bedrck46

P030x - Misfire Detection Monitor

Description: The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.
NOTE: x represents cylinder number 1 through 9.

Possible Causes:
Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Fuel pressure
Evaporative emission system
EGR system
Base engine

OP
OP
M

MichiganMan

Reaction score
Sorry, 2005 Navi. Biggest POS and far and away worst vehicle I've ever owned. Nothing but problems problems problems.

At this point I just want to get it running right and get rid of it. I firmly believe it is cursed.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

How many miles on it?
When was the last time the plugs and coils were replaced?
When was the last time the throttle body EGR passages were cleaned?

OP
OP
M

MichiganMan

Reaction score
2005, 100K on the clock. I've only owned it for the last 5K so I don't know if the plugs are originals or not. Based on all the other crap that has been wrong with it, I have no doubt that they are and need to be replaced. I just have a hard time understanding how *all* of them on the bank 2 could go bad at the same time (though with this thing, nothing surprises me any more...)

B

bedrck46

What maintenance have you done to it since you owned it??
What other problems have you had with it since you owned it??
From the sounds of thing you got someone else's headache.

If the plugs/coils are the originals and it has 100k on the clock most likely they need replaced.

Check my previous replies and see all the causes for the codes that appeared.

OP
OP
M

MichiganMan

Reaction score
I'm wondering (after doing some digging) if it might be a plugged cat on that side. Seems that could cause misfires and a rich / hot O2 sensor.