Paint defect!?!?!?!?!?! White pearl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpat

Reaction score
So was just washing the SUV for the first time since winter and it looks like I might have a paint defect. Looks like little dots of rust everywhere except on the plastic bumper. It is the whole SUV and they will not come off!!!!!! See photo. Even the metal trim. Tailgate is the worst. Anyone else have this issue?

2AD67BE2-AC63-420D-A6EA-58AEAB1BF651.jpeg

Last edited:

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks! How long did it go between car washes!?!
What year? Miles?

OP
OP
K

kpat

Reaction score
That sucks! How long did it go between car washes!?!
What year? Miles?
Been a few months since last wash and approaching 1 year next week. 12k. Husbands says it can’t be rust bc it is aluminum so then it must be a paint defect?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it’s not a paint defect, this happens on most white vehicles. How did the vehicle get to it’s destination after it left ford? It was shipped on a train, railroad dust embeds itself into the clear coat off the rails. At that time it is raw iron, after a winter of driving around that iron rusts inside the clear coat. The other common method is by truck, same problem. Brake dust and road debris from the trailer flys off and gets stuck in the paint

The solution to this is to take your car somewhere or do it yourself: clay bar the entire exterior and the bar will remove all traces of rust and embedded iron contamination. Then give it a good coat of wax. Will look new again.

OP
OP
K

kpat

Reaction score
No it’s not a paint defect, this happens on most white vehicles. How did the vehicle get to it’s destination after it left ford? It was shipped on a train, railroad dust embeds itself into the clear coat off the rails. At that time it is raw iron, after a winter of driving around that iron rusts inside the clear coat. The other common method is by truck, same problem. Brake dust and road debris from the trailer flys off and gets stuck in the paint

The solution to this is to take your car somewhere or do it yourself: clay bar the entire exterior and the bar will remove all traces of rust and embedded iron contamination. Then give it a good coat of wax. Will look new again.
Thank you for that info!!!! I am headed to the store right now to buy clay bar. So far everything I have tried has not worked.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So was just washing the SUV for the first time since winter and it looks like I might have a paint defect. Looks like little dots of rust everywhere except on the plastic bumper. It is the whole SUV and they will not come off!!!!!! See photo. Even the metal trim. Tailgate is the worst. Anyone else have this issue?

View attachment 30579
Go on amazon and purchase carpro ironx. This dissolves all metal particles embedded in paint. I do my entire truck 4 times a year in it. You will spray it on and as it starts working it will bleed purple

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 30579

Ditto on recommendations to use the clay bar. I live in Western PA, and the aggregate/salt mixture they use to treat roads in the winter has ferrous particles that cause the little rust colored stains on the paint. The clay bar takes it right off. Perhaps they use similar stuff on the roads in New Hampshire.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on recommendations to use the clay bar. I live in Western PA, and the aggregate/salt mixture they use to treat roads in the winter has ferrous particles that cause the little rust colored stains on the paint. The clay bar takes it right off. Perhaps they use similar stuff on the roads in New Hampshire.
Only problem is a clay bar will only remove the contaminant itself. Not the rust colored stain. Ironx will take care of that. Like I said, use it all the time on my tri coat platinum white 2016. Turns the whole truck purple as it dissolves everything embedded in the paint