Platinum Towing Experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7b5ecaf0a99040270661dcf4cb0f3445.jpg
Well it just so happens on the way to the campground. Expy had about 600 lbs of people and stuff plus trailer. We also had a ton of water because the campground only has electric. Only the second trip but wd close to being dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How planted did you feel towing with your rear axle so close to the limit and your front axle so light? We have a lighter and shorter trailer but when the front gets more than 400-500lbs lighter than the rear it’s not fun, and that’s nowhere near your scale #s. Not sure if it’s possible to move another 200lbs to the front but I bet it would feel a lot more planted.

Jrparne

Reaction score
Great question, the front feels exactly the same non towing with regards to the steering wheel feel. We were under adjusted when we first got it and it was floaty. Added two washers and that felt a ton more planted. Yes the rear is squatted but my weight distribution measurements have the front end exactly at where it is when we are not towing. steering feels exactly the same. The only thing you feel is the response of 7000 lbs behind you once you make a correction but it is not floaty. Still fine tuning and debating on adjusting my L brackets on the trailer one more to gain a more level contact with the wd bars. It looks nearly level and one more may be too much but it would transfer a little more forward which like you said may feel better.. this would give me a little more balance as well because I have some room left on gvwr but that’s hard to translate to the front axle loading the vehicle. It seems most of that weight always goes to the rear axle. But, we will see and I’ll keep y’all updated. .

Last edited:

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The way to REALLY know if the set up is correct is to do three passes on the scales.

1. Just the tow vehicle.

2. Vehicle and trailer with no weight distribution, with three separate weights ( steer, drive, trailer)

3. Vehicle and trailer with weight distribution, with three separate weights ( steer, drive, trailer)

Then, with a little math you can see if it's set up correctly.

I'm thinking that jrparne's set up is way light on the front axle (but I'm going from memory, I don't have my scale reports in front of me). Steer axle in #1 and #3 should be pretty close.

Jrparne

Reaction score
The steer axle and drive axle shouldn’t be close on an expedition. For instance the Gross axle weight rating is 3550 on the front axle and the rear gross axle weight rating is 4380. I totally agree using cat scales for multiple passes will be much more accurate but both the rv towing guide put out by Ford and the equalizer 4 point manual both only indicate using a tape measure to measure the front end with the trailer on, off and with weight distribution bars. Now if you made a pass on the cat scale with out the trailer and with the trailer and compare the front end that would be extremely accurate. I came up with a spread sheet for mine with a ratio for the expedition between front axle and rear axle for good “feel” and if I can get about 80-100 lbs more in the front axle it will get very close to that ratio that I know feels good to me while driving.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't clear. I'm saying the vehicle alone steer axle weight should be close to the weight distributed front axle weight.

I always use the tape measure method on initial set up, and it's usually very close. I had to adjust by half a link on my Reeese Dual Cam to dial it in.

Jrparne

Reaction score
Yeah I went back to my spreadsheet of the previous trailer and I had started out at 3120 fawr Adjusted over about 6 different trips to 3280 and that trailer was def perfectly trimmed with the hitch. I think I will raise that L bracket one more to gain more leverage and level it out much more for sway contact. It will be at least a week before I’ll have a scale ticket for that adjustment but will post for everyone’s benefit.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m happier with more weight (than stock) on my front axle.. with that much on your rear you might find that your front fender is higher than you started meaning you can add more weight to the front. If you can get to within 1/4-1/2” you’re good.

when I weighed my Expedition empty it was very close to 50/50.

Last edited:

James Lindley

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Platinum, with the HD Tow pack. The maximum towing capacity is rated as 9200lbs.

We're looking at buying a travel trailer, and the ones I've had my eye on top out at between 7500 and 8500lbs GVWR. Of course, that's the maximum the trailer axles are rated to carry with our cargo on board (beer, food, clothes, beer, water, beer etc) - so likely less than that in the real world.

Ordinarily I wouldn't think twice about this because it's under the max rating, but we live in the foothills of the Rockies, and will be dragging this thing all over the mountains camping.

Is this too close to the line with the terrain considerations? Is that 9200lbs an "engineering safety" number? (lots of things have a rated limit far below their real limit, for a safety margin)

Thoughts on this? Am I worrying over nothing? Anyone else have relevant tow experiences to share?

ZU1ZE0O.jpg

James Lindley

Reaction score
I tow a 33' travel trailer with my 2017 XLT w/ tow package rated also at 9200lb. I upgraded the tires to E rated 10 ply tires, add ShumoSprings to rear struts and upgraded rear sway bar to a Hellwig 7/8" bar. With a WDH and Reese anti sway kit I pulls great. However it still fells high winds just by the size of the trailer.