Precision Parts brand oil filter at Ford dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anybody else had a Ford dealership install a non-Motorcraft oil filer? Is that normal?

My dealership used a Precision Parts brand oil filter. Any advise?

I used a different dealership for my fist oil change they used the Motorcraft filter.

18D0F871-C9AF-447A-927F-F7F4EBE0BE1B.jpeg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anybody else had a Ford dealership install a non-Motorcraft oil filer? Is that normal?

My dealership used a Precision Parts brand oil filter. Any advise?

I used a different dealership for my fist oil change they used the Motorcraft filter.

View attachment 37741

No, I’ve never had a Ford dealer install an aftermarket oil filter on my Expedition.

I have had a Ford dealer install the wrong viscosity oil twice, and overfill the engine oil crankcase once.

What does your serviceinvoice show for a part and part number? Were you charged a separate fee for the filter?

Did you have them perform “The Works” oil change / tire rotation service? Often, it is advertised as using a genuine Motorcraft filter and oil.

I would return to the dealership and ask why they did not use a Ford part - and insist that they change it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wakeboarder

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I’ve never had a Ford dealer install an aftermarket oil filter on my Expedition.

I have had a Ford dealer install the wrong viscosity oil twice, and overfill the engine oil crankcase once.

What does your serviceinvoice show for a part and part number? Were you charged a separate fee for the filter?

Did you have them perform “The Works” oil change / tire rotation service? Often, it is advertised as using a genuine Motorcraft filter and oil.

I would return to the dealership and ask why they did not use a Ford part - and insist that they change it.

Good call on looking at the invoice. Thank you. It does mention a “PP oil filter”. It also shows a motor oil treatment which I did not ask for. I believe the manual mentions that there should be no additives in the motor oil. Now I am am curious about what an oil treatment is.

I think I will ask ford corporate and the dealer both about the use of that filter. I will also check fords websites about what the works should include. 97DCBEA2-8DE3-431D-92D5-BD3C7E91F461.jpeg

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good call on looking at the invoice. Thank you. It does mention a “PP oil filter”. It also shows a motor oil treatment which I did not ask for. I believe the manual mentions that there should be no additives in the motor oil. Now I am am courteous about what an oil treatment is.

I think I will ask ford corporate and the dealer both about the use of that filter. I will also check fords websites about what the works should include. View attachment 37742

It is not uncommon for service advisors and service managers to get kick-backs from local jobbers for using parts and supplies that are not OEM.

I would not want an oil additive added to my engine, especially while under warranty, and also not something that is approved and recommended by the manufacturer.

Let us know if you track down any more information about this. I suspect the dealership is milking their customers for every penny they can, and not using Ford OEM parts or recommended fluids.

Ford’s website states that “The Works” oil and filter change service includes Motorcraft oil and a Motorcraft oil filter: https://owner.ford.com/service/service-event/the-works.html?searchid=151457835|11025991875|&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI9abW6sWy6wIViorICh0sPgSvEAAYASAAEgIAKvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2519!3!292004270100!b!!g!!+ford +service +the +works&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9abW6sWy6wIViorICh0sPgSvEAAYASAAEgIAKvD_BwE

Good luck.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
99White is right on it. It's someone's scam. And it's probably Ford corporate that is being scammed on the filter and you're being scammed on the "oil treatment". Why not scam everybody?

The only legitimate answer we can see would be the unavailability of a part, and we know that's not the case with an oil filter.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a Ford Dealer around here that has a "quick lane" attached to their service department. Its non Ford Certified low end mechanics that they source out all their oil changes to. No Motorcraft filter, no Motorcraft oils, yet the FORD SERVICE department schedules your appointments just as IF you were getting Ford Mechanics to work on your car. its awful shady. Thats why this dealer throws in 10 free oil changes and such. Never went back after I saw what was going down.....

OP
OP
wakeboarder

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I returned to the dealership to ask questions.
1. Precision parts is Autonation’s store brand.
2. After showing them Ford’s website about the Works they agreed that it should have a Motorcraft filter.
3. The oil treatment listed on the invoice was BG Advanced Formula MOA PN 115. I know nothing about it. I showed them the line in the manual that engine oil additives could void the engine warranty.
4. They offered to change the oil again and use a Motorcraft filter. I let them.
5. I changed the oil again tonight because I lost trust in the dealership.