Programmer and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm wondering if anyone tows regularly with a programmer and how does it help? My boat has a 300# tongue weight and it's about 3,000# with trailer all weighted down.

My old truck didn't have a programmer, at least that I knew about, but the I6 pulled it great without any mods, except Z71 springs in the rear.

Basically, I have no idea about what these do and if/how they would help.

I appreciate the help.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically all a programmer does is optimize the engine tune in the truck's computer for whatever you are doing. So if towing, it will adjust accordingly to provide more low end torque and change shift points accordingly. The nice thing about them is with most of them you can monitor things like trans temp, engine temp, etc. All important towing info. Now 3,000 lbs. is not too heavy for these trucks depending on your setup, so you could probably go without the tuner and be fine, but many members say they pay themselves off in just the increase of fuel economy during normal driving.

If I had the extra money, I would definitely invest in one.

OP
OP
Keys Fisherman
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The issue now is getting the extra cash....

Any recommendations on brands for MPG increases?

The boat tows very easy, I'm just trying to boost the mpg a little bit.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
By far, the biggest change that I had after installing the edge, was the trans. It firmed up shifts and took away all that slipping. As we all know, slipping causes heat, and heat kills transmissions.

OP
OP
Keys Fisherman
Reaction score
By far, the biggest change that I had after installing the edge, was the trans. It firmed up shifts and took away all that slipping. As we all know, slipping causes heat, and heat kills transmissions.

Definitely need those shifts firmed up, and I'd like to run the tranny cooler when I'm towing, but I don't think I have the auxiliary trans. cooler (how can I find out?).

Does edge seem like the way to go...when I can afford it? How's mpg increase, torque change, and gearing change?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tow mode on the edge gives you a little more power but it really improves shifting. Some people get better than others with MPG.
AS for the trans cooler either you'll see a small rad in front of your rad or follow the trans lines out of the transmission if they go to the rad drivers side( on mine) only then no cooler if they go to the bottom of the rad into a sperate mini rad than you have a cooler .