Programming Door locks 2006 Exp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timberwolf

Reaction score
Ok,

So this is pretty much the only thing bugging me since we got our Expedition, it's minor, but still annoying.

I just want all 4 door locks to unlock when I switch the truck off, or I put it out of gear. Every other vehicle I've ever owned with PDL has done this. I know I can disable autolock, but I want to doors to lock when I put the truck in gear. I checked the manual, and all I can find is how to program the FOBs for different drivers, how to enter the door codes, etc etc, but nothing on how to change this functionality. IF it is possible, could someone please let me know how? Thanks. :confused:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think it's possible from the factory (unless the dealer can somehow flash it.)

I'm sure it could be built in somehow, though. Maybe have something that energizes the locks momentarily once the key is removed from the ignition switch?

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok,

So this is pretty much the only thing bugging me since we got our Expedition, it's minor, but still annoying.

I just want all 4 door locks to unlock when I switch the truck off, or I put it out of gear. Every other vehicle I've ever owned with PDL has done this. I know I can disable autolock, but I want to doors to lock when I put the truck in gear. I checked the manual, and all I can find is how to program the FOBs for different drivers, how to enter the door codes, etc etc, but nothing on how to change this functionality. IF it is possible, could someone please let me know how? Thanks. :confused:

i wanna know too on a 2004

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This totally irritates me as well, I can't figure out why Ford does this! If someone has a way to change this feature it would be greatly appreciated. You know how many times I go to open the rear hatch or rear doors only to have to dig the key fob out of my pocket and hit the button again, stupid, stupid, stupid! (I won't tell you how many times I've hit the panic button by mistake) Doh!

And why no rear glass unlatch button on the dash, is that too much to ask for.....It's the simple human interface issues like this that I have to wonder why the designers can't figure it out.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of an irritating feature. I've just gotten into the habit of always unlocking the doors from the switch every time I exit the vehicle, since I am used to my kids needing to get out too. I find myself doing it even when it is totally unnecessary.

scottmeiners

Reaction score
On my 09, I have it programmed so that it automatically unlocks all the doors when I open my door. This has saved me from always forgetting to hit the unlock button so I could get to rear to open up. But I do with I could allow them to unlock when the car is put into park.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 09, I have it programmed so that it automatically unlocks all the doors when I open my door. This has saved me from always forgetting to hit the unlock button so I could get to rear to open up. But I do with I could allow them to unlock when the car is put into park.

So how was the remote programmed to do this? Or is this programming feature only available on the 09 and later?

scottmeiners

Reaction score
I didn't program the remote, I was just able to set what I belive was the Autounlock feature through by pressing the setup button on the dash. I believe there was also a different way to do it according to the manual. It had something to do with pressing the lock button and turning the key on and off or something.

scottmeiners

Reaction score
This is how you do it from within the Setup feature

Autounlock
This feature automatically unlocks all vehicle doors when the driver’s
door is opened within 10 minutes of the ignition being turned off.1. To disable/enable the autounlock
feature, select this function from the
SETUP MENU.
2. Press and hold the RESET stem
for two seconds to turn the
autounlock ON or OFF.
3. Press the RESET stem for the next SETUP MENU item or wait for
more than four seconds to return to the INFO MENU (HOLD RESET
FOR SETUP MENU will appear).

scottmeiners

Reaction score
Here are two other ways to do it.

Power door lock switch autounlock enable/disable procedure
Before starting, ensure the ignition is in the off position and all vehicle
doors are closed. You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds or the
procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be
repeated, wait a minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.
1. Place the key in the ignition and
turn the ignition to the on position.
2. Press the power door unlock
control three times.
3. Turn the ignition from the on
position to the off position.
4. Press the power door unlock
control three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the on position. The horn will chirp one time
to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.
6. To enable/disable the autounlock feature, press the lock control, then
press the unlock control. The horn will chirp once if autounlock was
deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autounlock was
activated.
7. Turn the ignition to the off position. The horn will chirp once to
confirm the procedure is complete.

Keyless entry keypad autounlock enable/disable procedure
1. Turn the ignition to the off position.
2. Close all the doors.
3. Enter factory–set 5–digit entry code.
4. Press and hold the 3 • 4. While holding the 3 • 4, press and release
the 7 • 8. While still holding the 3 • 4, press and release the 7 • 8 a
second time.
5. Release the 3 • 4.
The user should receive a horn chirp to indicate the system has been
disabled or a chirp followed by a honk to indicate the system has been
enabled