Pulled cluster to install leds and now it won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Pclaythomas

Reaction score
Well, finally got the fuel pump replaced...damn weather lately has been too wet to work in. Still no crank. Guess I will have someone come and attempt to reflash or something. Not sure what to check now.
How would I bypass the lockout and create a manual fuel circuit?

OP
OP
P

Pclaythomas

Reaction score
We're dealing with millennials here. Do you really think they will "read" blueprints if they don't read a book they bought for $350?

I'd have to find a YT video of the exact garage being built so they could "see it".
Hmmmm.......I'm not a millennial, just turned 53 this Wednesday.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The millennial comment wasn't directed toward you. It is for the current crop of students I teach.

Standard "no start diagnosis" now. Read fuel pressure while cranking, connect scan tool to obd2 port to make sure you can communicate with the pcm, check all fuses to pcm (think there are 3), note flashing speed of "theft light".

Either fuel or spark is absent - need to know which one. Forget reflash for now

May help to pull the cluster and post pics of the areas you soldered. Need to remove a possible damaged PC board from the equation.

If you changed just the fuel pump, is the polarity correct?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp teaches a Diesel repair class, he teaches electrical to a bunch of 20 somethings. In our business, a book is preferred over the digital format. It's how I was taught, and I still prefer it. For me it's quicker than firing up a computer, then having to print. Well at this point, I guess your going to have to call someone. Locksmith shops have that feature, where they can reflash if that's your problem. If not your towing the old gal. Let us know what they find. You have a tough one here. At least on the fuel pump, your only out your time, no [emoji383].

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have an 01 Expedition and changed out the stock bulbs for leds. I did have to solder a couple as they didn't fit as tightly as they should. Went to put the cluster back in and crank it. Cranked and started then died. Now it just turns over. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time cause you guys are the BEST!!!
Also, this is my only ride so I gotta figure this out!
Your original post did not state but I assume(since it was your only ride) that the truck was running fine before you took out the cluster. If yes then take new cluster get it flashed to your truck and be on your way.

OP
OP
P

Pclaythomas

Reaction score
Ok, so do I have to tow the vehicle or just take the cluster? Obviously, money is a huge issue.
The fuel pump was installed just like the one that came out. I feel sure the polarity is correct.
Checked the fuel pump reset and it feels normal. Not tripped. Swapped the cluster just to be sure. Still nothing.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
How about putting the original bulbs, back in the cluster?