Question on timing guides/tensioners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig72

Reaction score
Hey gang.
I have a 98 Exped (4.6L W engine, 4x4) with 280k on the clock. Its developed a rattle up in the timing area, and I'm assuming one of the chain guides is broken, or one of the tensioners is not doing its job. It doesn't do it 100% of the time, but its there for the majority of it.
The timing chains/guides were all replaced about 10 years ago when I had a head gasket job done.
My question is, can the chain guides and/or tensioners be replaced w/o having to remove the chains themselves? I have no interest in messing with all of that part, but if I can just fix the rattle I'll be happy. The truck is near its EOL, so not looking to take it to a shop for this.
Thanks!

Billme

Reaction score
I would think you could.. It’s according to how much slack the chains have, and how for your tensioners are extended..
I was considering the same thing, and same circumstance as you.. New guides will take up a lot of slack.. You want know till your look..

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
I would think you could.. It’s according to how much slack the chains have, and how for your tensioners are extended..
I was considering the same thing, and same circumstance as you.. New guides will take up a lot of slack.. You want know till your look..
Thanks for the feedback. Actually we decided to just go all in and do the entire timing. I've got a new timing set, along with a new oil pump on order. The pressure has been almost bottoming out at idle. Replacing the sending unit did nothing. From what I've read, its most likely that pieces of the guides have broken off and made their way down to the oil pan. Then they get stuck around the pickup tube. Hopefully the old tube will be fine once I clean it out, but the pump will get replaced. The engine runs so smooth otherwise, I hate to throw in the towel on it.
It'll be a couple weeks before I get back to it, but I'll report back how it goes.. wish me luck!

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got around to tackling this job. It took me 4 days to get it done, which included dropping the oil pan. As it turns out, that part was an absolute necessity. The two stationary guides had completely lost the plastic liners, most of which had ended up on the oil pan and tons of debris in the pickup tube. Replaced the water pump and oil pump, along with all new timing set and high pressure power steering hose.

The shattered remnants of the old set.
IMG_20220701_152857_01.jpg
This was in the pan...
PXL_20220702_152112187.jpg
Look at all that crap in the pickup tube!!!
PXL_20220702_152104302.jpg
New oil pump before the timing gear goes in
PXL_20220702_181942167.jpgAll new duds...The timing was actually pretty straight forward.
PXL_20220702_195634273.jpg

I was pretty nervous about starting it up, but after a few cranks to move some oil, she fired right up. So smooth and quiet now!

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
A couple weeks in and she is still running great. However, the radiator must have been jealous of all the attention, because it started leaking a few days ago. The plastic end has a split right down the side. Still drive-able for short trips (my son uses this to get to practice and work). New radiator is going in this weekend, and of course its going to be 98 degrees. If only this would have been noticed while on the last repair! Oh well, at least this is a much simpler job.. lol

PXL_20220714_211532389.jpg

Billme

Reaction score
Awesome.. I had to put mine aside for a while.. The heat is too much for me now.. I may get a window unit for the garage, so I can finish.. Too old for this, lol
I don’t want to buy anything new, so I’m going to keep my 2000 going.. It’s been a great vehicle, and deserves the redo..

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
New radiator is in and no leaks. That lower hose connector is really odd. Let's hope that is the end of it's needs for awhile. We did remove the front driveshaft to track down a vibration issue. Looks like I'll need to get that balanced, but that's a topic for another thread.

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I did the timing set & oil pump on my 2000 4.6 last year. It was making quite a bit of noise at 170k. One of the plastic guides had worn through to metal, but it turned out the noise was mostly from the A/C clutch bearing. Glad to get it done though.