Rear entertainment worth it or buy aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordman1979

Reaction score
So my wife's and I decided to build an Expy and want to know if the RSE is worth it and works well or should I take the money and get an aftermarket one installed? What is good bad about the OEM one? Can I control the video from the front seat?

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The RSE that is installed at the factory has a little more control over the headrest units. There you can actually control the rear units. The dealer installed factory RSE units don't have that control. But in my case, the headrest units can play 2 different dvd's at a time, or can watch the same dvd on both. A trade off of sorts. It's not a problem when the people sitting in the second row are old enough to know how to start a DVD, plug in a usb drive and such.

Jeffrey Long

Reaction score
The RSE works well for my purposes... you can independently watch DVD's on each screen, but the teen loves being able to connect a Firestick to the RSE and watch either FailArmy or CatTV for hours. The only issue I have is trying to bluetooth stream from an Apple device, I can't figure out how to make it work.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In order to control them from the front, you have to have the headrests WiFi connected to your phone, have your phone plugged into the USB port and then you have to turn off CarPlay to enable mobile app to use the FordPlay app to try to control what’s going on with the RSE. I say try because it’s like having a remote control for a TV you can’t see. You can hit play and pause and fast forward and screen A or B but the vast majority of the time, it’s not doing what you want so you have to pull over and stop, get out and make whatever changes are needed right from the display. If you could disable every single source but the DVD drive or every source but the HDMI, make it 100% of the time either always turn back on or remain off after the vehicle has been turned off, it would be a good start for road trips but as it is now, I’d trade it for an aftermarket setup in a heartbeat. My kids are 3 and 2 so that might change as they get old enough to actually control it by themselves but then I’ll be dealing with them having remote control fights and changing what the other is watching. That said, thank you Lord for these first-world problems because we could all have it so much worse off.

JennyD

Reaction score
We don't like the look of the headrest screens; just a personal - probably weird - preference. They seem like something that would eventually break and have to be replaced (like all the fancy electronic equipment these days, lol), and aren't enough of a priority for us to spend the $$$. The kids already have tablets, so we will just use those on trips.

zarga

Reaction score
The RSE works well for my purposes... you can independently watch DVD's on each screen, but the teen loves being able to connect a Firestick to the RSE and watch either FailArmy or CatTV for hours. The only issue I have is trying to bluetooth stream from an Apple device, I can't figure out how to make it work.

I must be missing something...how can you watch DVDs on each screen? Only the driver side has the DVD player. The passenger side can mirror the driver DVD.