Rear seat entertainment ok or a bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had these installed yesterday:

https://www.adventproducts.com/search/?sku=ADVSB10UHD

They are the same thing @Husker4theSpurs put in.

They are amazing and if you can get over the price (about $1600 installed), they are worth every penny.

They're full Android tablets so I installed Disney+, Netflix, HBOMax, etc. through the Google Play Store and will run everything off the vehicle hotspot ($20/mo for unlimited data). Included IR headphones as well as a built-in FM modulator. They also have a DVD slot. Either screen can play its own thing, or you can mirror one to the other.

The real selling point, however, is the app that allows my wife to mirror the screens on her phone; that allows her to run everything from the front seat without any interaction from the little gremlins in the back seat...no more gymnastics to see what's happening on the screen and get everything started. Quality is, as far as I can tell, excellent.

And, of course, unlike the factory system, when I sell the vehicle and move to something else, these will come with me to the new one. Because they are android tablets, they update OTA just like a regular tablet would, as do all of the apps. So they will stay "current" for longer than a factory system would.

Would love to see some pics? I’m really hesitant to install as I don’t want to lose much space between the front seat and the second row. Thanks!!

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had these installed yesterday:

https://www.adventproducts.com/search/?sku=ADVSB10UHD

They are the same thing @Husker4theSpurs put in.

They are amazing and if you can get over the price (about $1600 installed), they are worth every penny.

They're full Android tablets so I installed Disney+, Netflix, HBOMax, etc. through the Google Play Store and will run everything off the vehicle hotspot ($20/mo for unlimited data). Included IR headphones as well as a built-in FM modulator. They also have a DVD slot. Either screen can play its own thing, or you can mirror one to the other.

The real selling point, however, is the app that allows my wife to mirror the screens on her phone; that allows her to run everything from the front seat without any interaction from the little gremlins in the back seat...no more gymnastics to see what's happening on the screen and get everything started. Quality is, as far as I can tell, excellent.

And, of course, unlike the factory system, when I sell the vehicle and move to something else, these will come with me to the new one. Because they are android tablets, they update OTA just like a regular tablet would, as do all of the apps. So they will stay "current" for longer than a factory system would.

How is the mounting height of these units? Some have vertical adjustment build in so the screens can slide up and down on the mount. Was thinking about these for my F350.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is the mounting height of these units? Some have vertical adjustment build in so the screens can slide up and down on the mount. Was thinking about these for my F350.
There is no vertical height adjustment, they are locked at the height of the headrest guides. But, they do pivot up and down. I'll get some pics for you and @carymccarr in a bit.

My only gripe is the mounting assembly. Because it is designed to be universal and allow access to any button for headrest adjustment, it doesn't look as seamless as I would have hoped. But I understand the limitations of working with a universal mounting bracket so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no vertical height adjustment, they are locked at the height of the headrest guides. But, they do pivot up and down. I'll get some pics for you and @carymccarr in a bit.

My only gripe is the mounting assembly. Because it is designed to be universal and allow access to any button for headrest adjustment, it doesn't look as seamless as I would have hoped. But I understand the limitations of working with a universal mounting bracket so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

Thanks for the photos. Any chance the monitors move up and down if you raise/lower the height of the headrests? Also curious what audio/video outputs your screens have. I would likely use a NAVIKS module to run hard wired audio and ideally video signals to the factory headunit.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. Any chance the monitors move up and down if you raise/lower the height of the headrests? Also curious what audio/video outputs your screens have. I would likely use a NAVIKS module to run hard wired audio and ideally video signals to the factory headunit.

They do move up and down a bit when the headrests go up and down, but not a significant amount.

Here are the various inputs. I think output is limited to the FM modulator and the IR headphones. There are two monitors and each is a little different given that one has the DVD.

upload_2020-6-18_9-47-43.png
upload_2020-6-18_9-48-14.png

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do move up and down a bit when the headrests go up and down, but not a significant amount.

Here are the various inputs. I think output is limited to the FM modulator and the IR headphones. There are two monitors and each is a little different given that one has the DVD.

View attachment 36661
View attachment 36662

Thanks. Very similar I/O to the factory units I have in my Expy. Looks like no easy way to have a video output, but at least I can do the same wired audio output from the 3.5mm headphone jack if/when I install in my F350. Interesting they don't offer the factory RES in the F150 and SuperDuty crew cab models.