Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little Ford history lesson from someone who was there...The Gen 2 rear suspension was amazing. Full aluminum double wishbone with toe links and anti-sway bar, allowed an adult size 3rd row with fold flat seats...and it handled much better than it's size would indicate. You could actually turn off the 4x4 and with a limited slip rear end you could do donuts in the parking lot without that special "about to tip over" feeling. The 4 wheel air ride only improved it.

But, the new Product Development VP at Ford, Phil Martens, was not a happy camper, he thought the IRS on both the Explorer and Expedition was a waste of money and wanted to undo it and go back to SRA on both of them. It was difficult to make him understand that in both cases it was all about superior interior package which was selling and hurting GM. In the end there was a compromise that pleased no one. The Gen 3 "multi-link" was hastily developed and launched. It was more expensive than the Aluminum Double wishbone with more unsprung weight, more variability, more attachments...and worst of all, it wallowed like a pig. But, it preserved the interior package; and, Phil was satiated because it was no longer a "race car like" Double wishbone. I was leasing a 2006 KR and a 2007 Limited at the same time for several months. My wife and I would do rock, paper, scissors to see who got to drive the 2006 every morning because we hated with the way the 2007 wallowed. The suspension is the same in the gen 4's as the gen 3's. I'm curious to hear from anyone on how the aftermarket anti-sway bars work. They look solid enough to restrict some of the link and bushing compliance which is the real problem, assuming that the bushings on the sway bar are sufficiently stiff. There are just too many links with too many bushings to keep the knuckles properly located. The stiffer gen 4 springs don't really help much because there is enough compliance in the bushings to sway the truck without compressing the springs.

hellohithere

Reaction score
My FSB is stuck on a FedEx truck until Monday. So much for the weekend install. Hopefully I'll be able to do the front like the rear, without ramps or a lift.

With the crappy roads around here I'm going to start researching smaller wheels so I can have more sidewall.

I'm confident both bars with new wheels and tires will be the right combination for my situation.

Did you end up installing the front sway bar? Would love to hear your thoughts.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have both the front and rear, so incredibly worth it. Probably some of the best money I've spent on this thing so far.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little Ford history lesson from someone who was there...The Gen 2 rear suspension was amazing. Full aluminum double wishbone with toe links and anti-sway bar, allowed an adult size 3rd row with fold flat seats...and it handled much better than it's size would indicate. You could actually turn off the 4x4 and with a limited slip rear end you could do donuts in the parking lot without that special "about to tip over" feeling. The 4 wheel air ride only improved it.

But, the new Product Development VP at Ford, Phil Martens, was not a happy camper, he thought the IRS on both the Explorer and Expedition was a waste of money and wanted to undo it and go back to SRA on both of them. It was difficult to make him understand that in both cases it was all about superior interior package which was selling and hurting GM. In the end there was a compromise that pleased no one. The Gen 3 "multi-link" was hastily developed and launched. It was more expensive than the Aluminum Double wishbone with more unsprung weight, more variability, more attachments...and worst of all, it wallowed like a pig. But, it preserved the interior package; and, Phil was satiated because it was no longer a "race car like" Double wishbone. I was leasing a 2006 KR and a 2007 Limited at the same time for several months. My wife and I would do rock, paper, scissors to see who got to drive the 2006 every morning because we hated with the way the 2007 wallowed. The suspension is the same in the gen 4's as the gen 3's. I'm curious to hear from anyone on how the aftermarket anti-sway bars work. They look solid enough to restrict some of the link and bushing compliance which is the real problem, assuming that the bushings on the sway bar are sufficiently stiff. There are just too many links with too many bushings to keep the knuckles properly located. The stiffer gen 4 springs don't really help much because there is enough compliance in the bushings to sway the truck without compressing the springs.

Wallow like a pig is extremly accurate with describing my 2018 brand new. My wife nearly puked riding in it.
Luckily the sway bars saved it. I honestly can't believe they sell them so horrible from the factory.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Wallow like a pig is extremly accurate with describing my 2018 brand new. My wife nearly puked riding in it.
Luckily the sway bars saved it. I honestly can't believe they sell them so horrible from the factory.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you end up installing the front sway bar? Would love to hear your thoughts.
I decided to wait until completion of a long distance towing trip before installing the front. After 800 miles of driving on curvy & hilly roads, the current setup really demonstrated the improvement to the rear and the sloppiness (comparatively) of the front.

I'll be replacing the front this evening or next weekend. After my next trip I'll decide if it needs new shoes.

Knut

Reaction score
Been reading just about every single post in this link.

Is there any other manufacturer who makes replacement sway bar and are
just as good as these Hellwig bars appears to be????

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to wait until completion of a long distance towing trip before installing the front. After 800 miles of driving on curvy & hilly roads, the current setup really demonstrated the improvement to the rear and the sloppiness (comparatively) of the front.

I'll be replacing the front this evening or next weekend. After my next trip I'll decide if it needs new shoes.

The front sway bar makes them handle sooooooooooo much better. All the corner lean is gone. It'll go thru a round about 15-20 mph faster now with ease.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been reading just about every single post in this link.

Is there any other manufacturer who makes replacement sway bar and are
just as good as these Hellwig bars appears to be????
I'm not aware of any...