Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on what Hellwig says, I may try to modify the existing bushing. But the constant rattling is not gonna fly.
I contacted Hellwig about my bushing issue and they sent me a new pair. I’m hoping things work out better this time. I’ll report back after I install them this weekend.

Chio4

Reaction score
I contacted Hellwig about my bushing issue and they sent me a new pair. I’m hoping things work out better this time. I’ll report back after I install them this weekend.
So far mine are couple months in and doing fine.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blue87GT
Ya gotta rub it in, don't ya? Yours is the exact opposite of my experience with Summit and I'm still waiting for my sway bars from a much smaller vendor.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
I wonder about this. Only driving my expi for a few short months, I've come to notice it's just sprung WAY to tightly. Assuming it's inherited the F150s suspension, which would explain why inside rear lifts off ground during slow speed tight turns. True, a sway bar may keep both rears on the ground. But not only are springs too stiff, it's basically an unbalanced vehicle with a front loaded distribution anyway like most cars.

I was always hoping the magnetic suspension would catch a lot of this over extension but so much for that. So if the ccs doesn't have the authority, and it was missed/ignored in engineering, I'm basically screwed with this driving flaw. Wouldn't it be easier to correct (via magnetics) a heavy load vs an oversprung normal light load?

I could always add about 700lbs of dead weight in the rear

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder about this. Only driving my expi for a few short months, I've come to notice it's just sprung WAY to tightly. Assuming it's inherited the F150s suspension, which would explain why inside rear lifts off ground during slow speed tight turns. True, a sway bar may keep both rears on the ground. But not only are springs too stiff, it's basically an unbalanced vehicle with a front loaded distribution anyway like most cars.

I was always hoping the magnetic suspension would catch a lot of this over extension but so much for that. So if the ccs doesn't have the authority, and it was missed/ignored in engineering, I'm basically screwed with this driving flaw. Wouldn't it be easier to correct (via magnetics) a heavy load vs an oversprung normal light load?

I could always add about 700lbs of dead weight in the rear
Have you been to a scale? Empty Expedition should be close to 50/50 F/R. 27C76CBD-0900-4F16-98A6-2F6C628C4F05.jpeg

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Have you been to a scale? Empty Expedition should be close to 50/50 F/R. View attachment 69716

This is excellent news, and disputes what a mechanic told me at the shop. But he may have been right about the heavy springs used in the expy/F150, causing it to bounce during light loads (fully extended struts). If he's right, I wonder why the ccs can't keep it stable?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is excellent news, and disputes what a mechanic told me at the shop. But he may have been right about the heavy springs used in the expy/F150, causing it to bounce during light loads (fully extended struts). If he's right, I wonder why the ccs can't keep it stable?

Its not from heavy springs, its from poor shock rebound valving. The shocks control the vehicles motion after a bump. The spring is,ply supports the weight of the vehicle. These vehicles squat a LOT with any trailer weight added to the rear, so I believe the factory springs are butter soft in my opinion. Thats also why it allows it to bobble so much, there's no support from the soft springs. A stiffer sway bar stiffens the overall spring rate because it allows the springs to borrow spring rate from the other side.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Its not from heavy springs, its from poor shock rebound valving. The shocks control the vehicles motion after a bump. The spring is,ply supports the weight of the vehicle. These vehicles squat a LOT with any trailer weight added to the rear, so I believe the factory springs are butter soft in my opinion. Thats also why it allows it to bobble so much, there's no support from the soft springs. A stiffer sway bar stiffens the overall spring rate because it allows the springs to borrow spring rate from the other side.
Whoa - great info DM. Can the CCS repair any of the valve timing's misgivings through magnetics? When Chevy introduced the whole magnetic suspension concept (it was Chevy wasn't it?), I recall a whole lot of bragging and chest pounding about how easy it was for the real-time computers to correct about any drivability problems that may creep up during a visit to the grocery store. Especially off-road.