Rebuild Top End or New Engine 183,000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced all of the original with cheapo chiese ones "ACCEL" I believe. I thought I had kept the original good ones seperate from the bad one but doubted my certainty so instead of taking a chance I replaced them all with verifiable motorcraft coilpacks. I now have seven good spares and 8 fishing weights. Another learning experience that I felt like documenting so that others may be one step ahead if they make it this far in the search.
Put them on ebay. I bought used one in there as spares before

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A crate 7.3l is over $11K plus labor to install/modify. The new 10sp is also almost $5k and much longer. No one in there right mind would sink $15K-$20K into a 2013.

but they'd put 60+ grand in a new one?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
obviously a lot of people hate the 5.4... just like many people hate every engine ever made.
the 5.4 is not a boat anchor, nor is it the worst engine ever made. It's a damn good motor with excellent reliability, with some models having specific issues with spark plugs and the valve train (cam phasers, chain tensioners, etc.) if you want to insist it's the worst engine ever made, please provide comparative statistics making your case. a good start would be lifetime per mile repair and sustainment cost compared with every other engine ever made to demonstrate the 5.4 is at the bottom of the heap.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They have made those downfalls easier and cheaper to fix, my v-10 had plugs that blew out like a cannonball and exhaust manifold bolts that snapped off if you looked at them funny but it was all fixable thanks to U-tube and special tools they came up with.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
obviously a lot of people hate the 5.4... just like many people hate every engine ever made.
the 5.4 is not a boat anchor, nor is it the worst engine ever made. It's a damn good motor with excellent reliability, with some models having specific issues with spark plugs and the valve train (cam phasers, chain tensioners, etc.) if you want to insist it's the worst engine ever made, please provide comparative statistics making your case. a good start would be lifetime per mile repair and sustainment cost compared with every other engine ever made to demonstrate the 5.4 is at the bottom of the heap.
The 2V, had spark plug issues, intake coolant leaks and bad exhaust manifolds/studs. It is a pig on gas. The 3v has phaser and chain failures, plus the same rust prone exhaust manifolds. By comparison, the Cadillac Northstar was a nice running motor. Nice until the bad head bolts failed. That engine practically destroyed there reputation. It lowered the resale on cars with them. Many were junked before there time because the fix was so expensive. Trucks with 5.4l have a lower resale.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2V, had spark plug issues, intake coolant leaks and bad exhaust manifolds/studs. It is a pig on gas. The 3v has phaser and chain failures, plus the same rust prone exhaust manifolds. By comparison, the Cadillac Northstar was a nice running motor. Nice until the bad head bolts failed. That engine practically destroyed there reputation. It lowered the resale on cars with them. Many were junked before there time because the fix was so expensive. Trucks with 5.4l have a lower resale.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take a look at powertrain products, they have a great warrantie selection, they fix the bad things on the engine (threads on the heads). I have one, zero problems, I believe it was about $3k also, but everything in new. They also have great customer service.

E1F46C4F-FA6A-461B-8FD8-76E4BE93BCAE.jpeg

56EDE381-658A-412E-8118-EE5DC1437366.jpeg

1B54FB3B-1695-4D02-8155-B3B99BDA0F19.jpeg

A964AE7E-A531-4B23-ADB5-A89E71D5256F.jpeg

E6A4AF83-F6F8-4409-8100-E9B86DF4AD41.jpeg

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has been a problem with Jeep wranglers for years. When they get bigger tires have no power. The rear diff ratio has to be changed.

This is not a Jeep problem. It is a fact of life that a change in the effective gear ratio, caused by switching to taller tires, reduces available power and torque at the wheels. Not “no power”, but certainly less delivered “power”. If you want to keep the available power and torque the same after installing taller tires, you must change the gear set. There are other ways, but by far the most cost effective is a new gearset.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is not a Jeep problem. It is a fact of life that a change in the effective gear ratio, caused by switching to taller tires, reduces available power and torque at the wheels. Not “no power”, but certainly less delivered “power”. If you want to keep the available power and torque the same after installing taller tires, you must change the gear set. There are be other ways, but by far the most cost effective is a new gearset.
Isn't that basically what he said?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Isn't that basically what he said?
To be exact and fair...Jeep Wranglers are upgraded with larger tires, probably more than most vehicles. They usually run better with a different ring and pinion. While it's not exactly a problem, but more of a result.