Regular vs. Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started with a used 2005 regular and got a 2021 Max a little less than a year ago. One of the things that bugged me was the lack of cargo space when the 3rd row was up.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the max for the larger gas tank.
And the larger rear doors.

I have 2 kids so the captains have seats strapped to them. The max is great because:

1) If I need to take a 5th person (or a third adult and don't want to remove the car seats) and gear, I still have plenty of room in the rear.

2) If I need to haul several adults around, I can pull the car seats and throw them in the cargo area to free up all seats; those two huge car seats don't fit in the shorty's cargo area with the third row up.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the max for the larger gas tank.
Does the max come with larger bladders for the driver and passengers for longer non stop rides?;)
Kidding. I am also getting a Max. But I do have three older kids/teens and they and their friends can haul quite some stuff. Our Current Qx56/80 Infiniti has occasionally been small and the middle of the bench is now uncomfortable for the preteen on very long rides. The max should allow one person in the third and two comfortably in the second row while also accommodating cargo behind and besides the third row. If needed, with three individual seats in the second row, even three across would be comfortable on longer drives needing max cargo

hellohithere

Reaction score
We have 3 kids with a regular expedition and captain chairs. There is almost no trunk storage if you have the 3rd row up. Given our experience, you could consider sticking with the regular length Expedition but with a bench seat 2nd row. That way you can fit all 3 kids in the 2nd row and fold down the 3rd row for cargo space if needed. This way you can keep it in the garage and still have space!

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy the Max. 1,000% buy the Max. We have 2 kids, 2 large dogs, plus haul my parents with us often, I wouldn’t want anything else but the Max. If they made a bigger version I would have bought that instead.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wished my EL was shorter for the first 6 months I had it. Now, 6.5 years later, I can't imagine not having that extra space.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing that I missed is that the extra fuel capacity on the Max is very highly recommended for towing. I couldn't imagine towing my camper with a smaller fuel tank.

Midnight451

Reaction score
I regret not going with the max. I thought it wouldn't fit in my garage but I mismeasured, just enough room.

I have 2 kids & a St. Bernard, plenty of room normally but vacation travel starts to get tight in the cargo area.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a shorty and am very happy with it. There is a rare occasion I would like the extra space, but 95% of the time the short wheelbase is enough.

We got a 2nd row bench. This allows 3 in the middle row when you need extra cargo space.