Removal of Headlight Sun Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone found a home remedy for headlight Sun damage? My Expy is fine but my other vehicles go from lite damage to heavy. I know you can get a kit to repair Sun damage but is there anything homegrown out there that works as well as a kit?

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already did my BMWs give me the process you start with a heavier grade sandpaper and work down I believe to 4000 grit then you use two different types of rubbing compound with finer and finer grits and you clean them very well and you spray them with ultraviolet protection polyurethane turned out really nice and no problem after that I'm fixing to have to do the same thing to My Expedition

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already did my BMWs give me the process you start with a heavier grade sandpaper and work down I believe to 4000 grit then you use two different types of rubbing compound with finer and finer grits and you clean them very well and you spray them with ultraviolet protection polyurethane turned out really nice and no problem after that I'm fixing to have to do the same thing to My Expedition

This except I would go finer than 400 before compound. Griot’s Garage as a set of “machine polishes” working themselves all the way down to glass polish that should do the trick.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This except I would go finer than 400 before compound. Griot’s Garage as a set of “machine polishes” working themselves all the way down to glass polish that should do the trick.
Or if you'll read I hope I said I went all the way to 4000 threat before polishing it seemed really weird sanding my plastic lenses can you wipe them off and they look totally hazy like you're fixing to paint a car but the end product was amazing. I think if I did it again I would take the headlights off of the car has I had to tape them up about 10 times because the water would just make the tape come off of the body of the car. I really didn't want to scar my BMW paint job up

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Redneck method: wipe on WD-40

Repeat as needed

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Sand away the yellowed coating with 400 grit then work up to 1000 grit. Prep and Spray with a 2k clear coat. never touch them again!

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or if you'll read I hope I said I went all the way to 4000 threat before polishing it seemed really weird sanding my plastic lenses can you wipe them off and they look totally hazy like you're fixing to paint a car but the end product was amazing. I think if I did it again I would take the headlights off of the car has I had to tape them up about 10 times because the water would just make the tape come off of the body of the car. I really didn't want to scar my BMW paint job up

My mistake - bad eyes - had nothing to do with day off work cocktails.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had excellent results removing yellow from headlights and even a Vintage motorcycle windshield.....with "Plastic restorer" and a polishing wheel on a drill motor.

It is a Polishing compound so the particles break down smaller and smaller as you work it, eliminating the need for different grits etc.

Rubbing compound particles on the other hand, do not get smaller as you work it, therefore are misplaced in this application.

This windshield was so yellow, you could not see through it.....an hour later.....

jeff

Turbo by the Bay.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience, these methods work OK at first, but quickly re-yellow.

Replacing the whole light assembly is the way to go. And sometimes about the same cost as buying all the different products and kits.

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try some DEET.

If you've got some skeeter spray laying around spray it on and let sit for a few minutes. Wipe off with a rag not paper towels (ask me how I know). Repeat until clarity has been restored. Clean with denaturized alcohol. Spray with clearcoat and be amazed!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk