Remove tow hitch????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reg442

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is and easy just 6 or 8 bolts i know, but my question is can you remove it from the vehicle alltogether?? i dont tow anything and have no plans on ever towing. i seen the black truck with the exhaust tips coming out where the tow hitch is, and thats how i want mine i localed 2 8 x 2 1/2 tips that fit perfect, but when i took it to the exhaust shop he said he can't drop the tow hitch cause it supports the bumper. what are my options?
thanks

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year? I removed mine to repaint it as it was starting to rust, and the lower part of the bumper cover does need it for support (2006 EB). You could drive around without it on, but your bumper cover may flap around a bit unless you created a bracket to hold it in place. I do like the looks of the exhaust tips in that location, but if you get into the rear of the vehicle quite a bit, you might burn yourself on the tips.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to remove the bumper cover and the trailer plug cover. Then, remove the 8 bolts.

Not sure if the bumper cover needs the hitch for support, though.

Granted, it starts off with this warning:
WARNING: Do not permanently remove the trailer hitch. Always reinstall the hitch before delivery of the vehicle to the customer. Failure to follow this warning could increase the risk of injury in a rear end collision.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when we first got my 97 it didnt have a hitch and i had one put on it

OP
OP
reg442

reg442

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year? I removed mine to repaint it as it was starting to rust, and the lower part of the bumper cover does need it for support (2006 EB). You could drive around without it on, but your bumper cover may flap around a bit unless you created a bracket to hold it in place. I do like the looks of the exhaust tips in that location, but if you get into the rear of the vehicle quite a bit, you might burn yourself on the tips.

i have an 03 and i was going to do the bracket or just cut the hitch section out.

OP
OP
reg442

reg442

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i do have it, but i like the exhaust look better, i may still use it if i can't get the exhaust set up to work right. i may even resell it its already painted AQ paint code.. ill know before wednesday, i just got a used hitch from the junk yard and i'm going to see what i can do to cut it up and reweld it so i still have the support but no hitch. i still have to put either my old console or finish the new one. i just dont have time like i use too.

Tracy

Reaction score
I suggest try out searching it on internet about the safe fixation and removal of hitch in your vehicle. Removing the hitch permanently without expert opinion and help may cause injury to your vehicle and may reduce the efficiency and torque. So, If you are not comfortable with the hitch then you have a option to contact the manufacturer and ask about the hitch removal procedure from you vehicle.