Replaced head unit...now the truck won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my dad has a 2004 or 2005 expedition. I've replaced several head units in Expeditions, but none with an alarm like this. It has a PowerCode security system installed by the factory. The volume knob went out on his head unit...so to be nice I gave him my stock head unit from my 2006 Limited. It was a plug and play swap and the two head units are almost identical apart from a few buttons being named differently. Well after we hooked everything back up, we noticed that the flashing LED for the alarm had quit flashing. He tried starting the truck up and the starter doesn't turn. Everything else lights up like it should. (Dash, radio, lights) The battery isn't dead or low. I know that it can't be from forgetting to hooking something back up...I've started my truck with the whole dash removed and didn't have any problems. He has a little button next to his parking brake so we thought that might be the over-ride button. No luck with that. We've tried everything we could find online to turn the alarm back on with no luck. Here are a few pictures of the alarm system...Does anyone know how to get the truck to start now?

e5f77c63.jpg
The light that no longer flashes.

ee4ae66f.jpg
A mysterious button.

4418ed73.jpg
The Alarm module itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you check all fuses? The mysterious button looks lik the valet switch for the alarm itself. You may want to try putting the key in the "ON" position and pushing the valet switch. See if the alarm will chirp.

OP
OP
Dexter

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried the valet thing. And yeah...I'll check it out. Thanks.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the radio is coded, It might not start. The alarm box thinks something isn't right and that's why no start. I think only a dealer can reprogram to make it all work.

OP
OP
Dexter

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the radio is coded, It might not start. The alarm box thinks something isn't right and that's why no start. I think only a dealer can reprogram to make it all work.

I'll check for blown fuses tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll put the old HU back in and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.