Replaced Rear Glass Lift Supports. Which will crack first, the glass or me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB02Exp

Reaction score
I have an 02, it’s my 1 year with it and a week from my birthday so I’m replacing a few of the OE parts from when it was new. 18 years ago.

I bought a replacement pair of lift support, gas shocks, lift struts, I worked at AutoZone and we called them lift supports. Anyway, I installed them and they have a very strong, but consistent charge. Strong enough to flex the rear glass more than 3” L to R, plus some glass fastener creaking.

The car guy in me was dying over the thought of a cracked rear window with a flawless defroster. The engineer in me said to see if it would close (engineer, gambler, prodder of fate?). It closed with a very damped pleasant thud which was new.

Do you have any advice? The set for the hood were strong too. It seems a little too eager.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If they are the $15-made-in-China ones, I'd throw them out and find a real pair. That backlite is very costly. Get a price on a new glass then assess your risk.

dacat

Reaction score
The rear ones should not flex that much. I'd say they put they soldyou the wrong ones on. it should have the ford part number on it, SG304023. My stabilus lift-o-mat ones have G304023 on it.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put these in a few days ago, cheap eBay , strong, hold window open when driving at 65mph, work great.

B369FF49-F253-41B4-A4FD-0EC97D09E506.png

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed the set on my 08 expedition (purchased the struts from oreiley) they fitted very easily and I don’t have more than 1” of twist on the rear glass if I try to close it from the bottom left or right corner, sounds like your struts are far too strong for this application.