Replaced right exhaust manifold, omg!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't remove the cross member, mount or drive shaft to do my 07. Did removing that stuff make it any easier? I only had my bottom rear break and it was just a little under flush with the head.

The reason for having to remove cross member and tranny mount, plus unbolt driveshaft was that damn orange hanger mount you see riveted to the trans mount.
The one on the left is 2 piece so it opens. But the right one is solid so there is no way to get the cats down low enough to make room for the manifold to come down from its home.

Oh and I forgot the starter had to come out as well. The top bolt on it was a royal pain, you cant see it from the bottom so its a feel thing. You must have, ratchet extensions and a swivel joint.

And I broke a 5mm socket removing the studs.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice work. How's the driver side?

I dont think you will ever have a problem with the left one. I say that because there are several videos of F150's with warped right manifolds.

From what I could see the left manifold is more exposed. No starter on that side is a plus.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the steel studs before I ordered the manifold and used moly anti seize.

Here is a tip. The Dorman manifold is $70 cheaper but it does NOT include the heat shield that the Motorcraft one does.
The Motorcraft one includes the studs & nuts and look like they have the copper anti seize on them.
But it does NOT include the 2 studs in the end for the down tube. So I had to remove the old ones.

I figured as had as this job was to remove the old manifold I was going to buy the Motorcraft.

Oh and I used a #2 center drill to start the holes in the broke studs. I had to get real close and personal with the truck frame so I could hold the drill steady and push. Very loud drill too.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be proud; you did a nice job. Thanks for sharing. How many miles of that truck?

I've got an '08 too, so now I know what to expect. I think that's a worse job than the 2000 I did... When this thing starts leaking, I'm just going to sell it.

Guess they don't use much road salt in North Carolina. That motor and exhaust looks new.

Did you use new stainless studs to be certain that nobody could ever drill them out again when they snap?

About 130k. I hate stainless, I have been in the machine shop trade for 40 years now.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Dennis, have you ever seen this fixture?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Ma...=item2600c6fd05:g:8~kAAOSwl7Natb17:rk:19:pf:0

It centers the drill bit under a bushing for drilling out a broken stud. I bought one of these when I did my 2000 but didn't need it. The advertiser states it fits 1997 through 2009 4.6L and 5.4L. Did something change for the years after that? I also used a small Milwaukee right angle battery powered drill.

Here's a higher priced version of a similar drilling jig:

http://www.freedomracing.com/csb-00...MImbn2zZCv3gIVl0oNCh2Yqg3iEAQYAiABEgK_GvD_BwE

I'm with you on your choice of Ford manifolds. I would never invest that kind of work on a Chinese casting.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dennis, have you ever seen this fixture?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Ma...=item2600c6fd05:g:8~kAAOSwl7Natb17:rk:19:pf:0

It centers the drill bit under a bushing for drilling out a broken stud. I bought one of these when I did my 2000 but didn't need it. The advertiser states it fits 1997 through 2009 4.6L and 5.4L. Did something change for the years after that? I also used a small Milwaukee right angle battery powered drill.

Here's a higher priced version of a similar drilling jig:

http://www.freedomracing.com/csb-00...MImbn2zZCv3gIVl0oNCh2Yqg3iEAQYAiABEgK_GvD_BwE

I'm with you on your choice of Ford manifolds. I would never invest that kind of work on a Chinese casting.

Well Ill be dog gone. That is a nice find.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I did all I could to prepare for the job. But when I had at it on my 16 year old (210K mile) truck, all the studs came right out, although the nuts were practically rusted away. The front of the manifold actually had holes eroded through it.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why you hear time after time don't do exaust work at home. To do any exaust work at home or shop, you need heat, experience, and a big old can of penetrating spray. Not to mention some pretty trick thread drilling jigs like pro machinist have. The top front bolt on the starter can be removed/installed with a long extension and flex socket. You remove right front tire to get at it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The reason for having to remove cross member and tranny mount, plus unbolt driveshaft was that damn orange hanger mount you see riveted to the trans mount.
The one on the left is 2 piece so it opens. But the right one is solid so there is no way to get the cats down low enough to make room for the manifold to come down from its home.

Oh and I forgot the starter had to come out as well. The top bolt on it was a royal pain, you cant see it from the bottom so its a feel thing. You must have, ratchet extensions and a swivel joint.

And I broke a 5mm socket removing the studs.
Fordtechmakuloco has a specific way of pulling the manifold out that is pretty simple without dropping the cats down. Thats how I did it and it was probably the easiest part of the job.

I did buy all the motorcraft updated stainless hardware but used the Dorman manifold.

I think the worse part was getting that top starter bolt out. I ended up using my milwaukee m12 ratchet with long extension(2'+6"+swivel+13mm deep socket). Snaked it all under the manifold and was able to get it straight on.