Replaced right exhaust manifold, omg!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting the starter bolt out was easy, getting it back in without cross threading it is the fun part. If memory serves I used my 24 inch extension like you with a snap on flex and the 13 mm socket. Snap on flexes don't wobble around like the cheaper ones, made it easier. Ironically the 2 bolts on the back side are a piece of [emoji513].

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Wow...! Great report, thanks for the pics... How easy was to it get back together? Do you think that heat from the
warped manifold could have damaged the head?? I have heard from my mechanic friend that this was a problem at
times.. Thanks again.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a tip. The Dorman manifold is $70 cheaper but it does NOT include the heat shield that the Motorcraft one does.
The Motorcraft one includes the studs & nuts and look like they have the copper anti seize on them.
But it does NOT include the 2 studs in the end for the down tube. So I had to remove the old ones.

Excellent tip ! Those studs and nut probably cost $10-$20. Silly they do not include the down tube studs.

Oh and I used a #2 center drill to start the holes in the broke studs. I had to get real close and personal with the truck frame so I could hold the drill steady and push. Very loud drill too.
This where most DIYer go wrong ! You have to make a decent center punch mark and using the center/starter drill bit. These are not very expensive and I recommend buying several because they WILL BREAK !
2987.480.jpg
Last DIY tip, use a LEGT HAND DRILL BIT SMALLER THAN THE STUD ! You might get lucky and it will come out.

My daughter's 2012 Expedition had a leak on the left side and it was replaced about 18 months ago. Now the right side have a leak. Estimates (using a Dorman manifold) are between $600 and $700 ! Ouch ! I'm too old for that stuff !

BTW, where did you get the deal on the manifold ? The price difference between the genuine Ford and the Dorman is usually close to $100.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford mechanics, cut/torch the studs off. They remove the manifold and carefully remove studs, with vise grips. They told me they never try to unbolt them. The broken studs are usually the rear ones and hopefully, break above the head. Mine broke with enough left, to squeeze on a vise grip. Apparently they are not that tight. Ford makes an stud extraction removal tool, for the in head breaks. The 'new' studs and gaskets are much better quality. My manifold actually cracked, it warped so bad. This was an expensive job. $590/per side, most of it labor. That included new manifolds(don't reuse them) plus a stud and gasket kit. The dealer gave me a loaner car and it was there, a day and a half.

Last edited:

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Nice job and great pics! I did mine last year. Almost cost me my left hand when the cut off wheel exploded on me... Thanks to the Ann Arbor VA for sewing me back up lol Yes, that's bone that it tore right into also.
What a difference between your NC rig and mine that has 213k northern miles on her.

38382252322_d3e673d44c_z.jpg

24341440558_91d3705e54_z.jpg

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Nice job and great pics! I did mine last year. Almost cost me my left hand when the cut off wheel exploded on me... Thanks to the Ann Arbor VA for sewing me back up lol Yes, that's bone that it tore right into also.
What a difference between your NC rig and mine that has 213k northern miles on her.

38382252322_d3e673d44c_z.jpg

24341440558_91d3705e54_z.jpg
Looks like a scratch from here.... ;)
Thats a nasty slice!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think a grinder's the most dangerous tool. The same day I saw this picture a friend got a very similar slice cutting sheet roofing. The tool fell and dug into his arm. We don't think of grinders and cut off wheels as being that dangerous... I'll put the guard back on mine.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think a grinder's the most dangerous tool. The same day I saw this picture a friend got a very similar slice cutting sheet roofing. The tool fell and dug into his arm. We don't think of grinders and cut off wheels as being that dangerous... I'll put the guard back on mine.
Grinder is a whole other animal. Wife surprised me from behind when I was grinding a tank for my Harley. Bit two tips of my fingers nearly off... I was doing detail work. I'll take that over my cutoff tool any day though...