Replaced Water pump, Thermostat, Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It Still Seems To Build up Too Much Air Pressure But It Could be Common as I'm Fairly new To The First Gen Expy ! Thoughts And Comments Welcome !

Hi, what does this mean? Does it appear to be overheating? What does temperature gauge indicate?

When you refilled the radiator and reservoir, did you run it a while with the cap off?

Remove the cap, run it till it's warmed up and fill just enough to cover the radiator core. Add the mix to the reservoir and close to cap.

You did add the proper amount of antifreeze yes? Not just water.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I remember correctly these are 16lb systems which would seem high compared to the 10 lb older cars. If it is puking coolant out of the tank I'd read the pressure with a gauge or look for bubbles in the tank while it is running. What coolant did you use, premixed or concentrate, tap water or distilled?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you had blockage in the water jackets in the engine it would be a constant restriction to the water flow.

If the thermostat you just put in doesn't open all the way up then the temperature would rise immediately as the engine warms and once a thermostat opens, it doesn't magically close again and then open again.

If the pump stops pumping at any point, then the water trapped in the engine water jackets immediately over heats and builds excessive pressure. Your temperature sensor says your over heating and the pressure and bubbling over says your over heating.

My gut says either the pump stops pumping due to belt slippage or you have a rebuilt water pump and it's also bad and should be swapped again.

Remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Fill the radiator until you see the water in the neck at the top and just watch. When the engine warms sufficiently the thermostat opens allowing water to circulate which you should be able to observe. This also should let the water evenly distribute through the system and the level in the neck you observed will drop. You should hear the water circulating and if you can see it, add more antifreeze to raise the level and compensate for the water you just added.

Let the engine run for 30 minutes at idle and watch that temp gauge and water level.

If nothing happens at that point, add the radiator cap back and idle for another 30 minutes watching the temp gauge, listen for any squeals from the water pump area.

The answer to slippage is to re tighten the belt and tension pully.

The answer to no water flow is replace the water pump and the thermostat. You may want to have the water jackets in the engine blown out with high air pressure. I'm not sure if they can be snaked or not.

Have you see any rust in the cooling system?

Last edited:

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you had blockage in the water jackets in the engine it would be a constant restriction to the water flow.

If the thermostat you just put in doesn't open all the way up then the temperature would rise immediately as the engine warms and once a thermostat opens, it doesn't magically close again and then open again.

If the pump stops pumping at any point, then the water trapped in the engine water jackets immediately over heats and builds excessive pressure. Your temperature sensor says your over heating and the pressure and bubbling over says your over heating.

My gut says either the pump stops pumping due to belt slippage or you have a rebuilt water pump and it's also bad and should be swapped again.

Remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Fill the radiator until you see the water in the neck at the top and just watch. When the engine warms sufficiently the thermostat opens allowing water to circulate which you should be able to observe. This also should let the water evenly distribute through the system and the level in the neck you observed will drop. You should hear the water circulating and if you can see it, add more antifreeze to raise the level and compensate for the water you just added.

Let the engine run for 30 minutes at idle and watch that temp gauge and water level.

If nothing happens at that point, add the radiator cap back and idle for another 30 minutes watching the temp gauge, listen for any squeals from the water pump area.

The answer to slippage is to re tighten the belt and tension pully.

The answer to no water flow is replace the water pump and the thermostat. You may want to have the water jackets in the engine blown out with high air pressure. I'm not sure if they can be snaked or not.

Have you see any rust in the cooling system?

I don't know about the 99+ motors but on my 97 the radiator cap is actually on the overflow bottle. The overflow bottle is tied in at the lower rad hose. So if his is the same he would have to take the upper hose off to see if there is flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Put it in a Pot of water on the Stove to check if it opens Correctly "

Exactly.

"The overflow bottle is tied in at the lower rad hose. So if his is the same he would have to take the upper hose off to see if there is flow.
"

That's interesting. And disturbing.