Replacement windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yankeecause

Reaction score
What is the opinion of Safelite replacement windshields? My 2020 needs one. Will I be getting the sound insulated glass and the electric heat where the wipers park? Or should I try to get a Ford brand windshield?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the opinion of Safelite replacement windshields? My 2020 needs one. Will I be getting the sound insulated glass and the electric heat where the wipers park? Or should I try to get a Ford brand windshield?

My auto insurance company sent me to a local Safelite shop to have my original windshield replaced on my 2015 Expedition Limited, after it was cracked by a rock.

When I called-in the claim, the insurance adjuster said the shop would use OEM glass (I have the sound-screen glass on the Limited).

The shop did a miserable job. They installed an aftermarket windshield, damaged the plastic air inlet grille (at the based of the windshield, but under the hood), and applied excessive black sealer on the right A-pillar (which oozed out from behind the inside plastic trim).

I would never recommend Safelite - poor quality and poor service.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd get factory glass, MOST places use aftermarket junk. We had a Flex they put aftermarket glass in twice and it was louder than the factory glass by far.

Gortty_Pilot

Reaction score
Safelite can order the OEM Ford Sound Deadening windshield but it requires extra steps to make sure they actually order it instead of a generic comparable one.

In the past, I’ve replaced 2 windshields and Ford just contracted out the work to 3rd part installers. Regardless of where you go take a picture of markings on your existing windshield and ensure they are on any replacement windshield before installing. Any concerns should be brought up immediately to the installer.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the Ford OE glass. Don't use Safelite. Call your dealer and ask them who they use for glass replacement. It won't be Safelite..

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the OE window. The more you get away from the OE glass, the less controls are in place at the manufacturing and install side. I've seen so many aftermarket windshields where the more you look off center, the more distortion you see (waves, shifts in visuals).

I had to get my windshield replaced on my older BMW due to pitting. Unfortunately, even though it was a manufacturer for BMW, they didn't make the OEM glass, and I can already see more distortion than the OE glass.

Best best is sourcing a part with a true OE Part Number.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the OE soundscreen as a replacement (my 3rd) but after the OE one was replaced, the heated elements for the wipers disappeared! Not a big deal as I felt they never really worked that great.

Also, make sure to get the camera realigned.