Replacing 1 tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expegino

Reaction score
2022 Expedition Timberline, 20K on the car/tires.

1 tire has some sort of a puncture of in the inside sidewall, causing a slow leak, and cannot be fixed.

Tires currently on are GY Wrangler.

What is the general consensus on replacing the one tire, vs 2 tires, vs all 4 tires? From what I gather on the internet, AWD/4WD vehicles are sensitive to operation with tires w/ different threads. That leads me to believe all 4 should be replaced.

Thank you! (I tried to use the search function, but couldn't find anything on the topic).

Cheers

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4X4 are sensitive if different size tires are placed on the same axle with true posi traction. The tread design unless you put a mudder on along with a highway tread shouldn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference imo.

OP
OP
E

expegino

Reaction score
Thank you, great point about the thread design, I didn't think about that. I was going to replace the tire w/ one exactly the same. What about thread depths? Is a new tire going to make a difference w/ another one on the same axle that has 20K miles on it?

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, great point about the thread design, I didn't think about that. I was going to replace the tire w/ one exactly the same. What about thread depths? Is a new tire going to make a difference w/ another one on the same axle that has 20K miles on it?
I'd just put the new one on and forget about it. When the other three need replaced, just do all four.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its only an issue if your using awd on surfaces that don’t require it. Another words if your only using awd on slick poor surfaces minor tire size differences shouldn’t be an issue. Huge snow dump this past week I was in and out of awd the past 5 days given I was going between snow packed roads to just wet pavement where awd is unnecessary. Easy enough to switch between as needed.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Moeman

Reaction score
Agree with previous comment, and will go even further to say that just maintaining the same exact tire pressure in every tire is not something every owner does. I'm probably one of the more particular people. I shoot for 0.5psi when I check them, but I won't hassle changing it if TPMS is telling me they're within 2psi.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally on an AWD vehicle you would change the tires on the same axle. But if you're not using the AWD, it shouldn't be a problem. Some stores will give you a credit towards a new tire if the old one still has tread and can be sold as used.