replacing the trailer hookups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the expy I'm looking at has both a 4 pin and a 7 pin hookup (thinking that means HD tow package installed??) The 4 pin, well the mail pin is broken flush. Anyone got a part number to replace that harness, or other suggestions to get the 4 pin workable without doing splices into the factory harness?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can try to find you a Ford part number, just state what year Expedition you are looking at.

If buying from a dealer or individual, I'd make this repair part of the deal.

I believe Pollak is or was the OEM supplier. Really can't go wrong with any aftermarket brand though. Reece, Hopkins, Draw-Titie, Curt, U-Haul come to mind. You are talking about a $6 part here.

Personally I'd have no issue with soldering on a replacement 4-pin receptacle, then heat shrinking those joints before re-inserting it into the plastic split tubing. Not a fan of twist & prays or splices myself either. The male pin on the vehicle side is ground and most often trailers ground to the frame anyway, so could be moot once you set the coupler on the ball.

A 7-to-4 adapter would also solve your issue.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a 7 to 4 pin adaptor because the rubber four pin adaptor moves when connecting and seems flimsy to me. With the adaptor the 7 pin is a more solid fixture and the connector locks in place. That will save buying the new wire and might even be faster to use.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=7+pin+to+4+pin+trailer+adapter&sprefix=7+pin+to+,aps,370&crid=21A1UFC4JG37G

I do use this one with the lights to test trailer light wires. Just faster than walking around to check lights are working, if you do check them.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-4734...r=8-3&keywords=7+pin+to+4+pin+trailer+adapter

OP
OP
S

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can try to find you a Ford part number, just state what year Expedition you are looking at.

If buying from a dealer or individual, I'd make this repair part of the deal.

I believe Pollak is or was the OEM supplier. Really can't go wrong with any aftermarket brand though. Reece, Hopkins, Draw-Titie, Curt, U-Haul come to mind. You are talking about a $6 part here.

Personally I'd have no issue with soldering on a replacement 4-pin receptacle, then heat shrinking those joints before re-inserting it into the plastic split tubing. Not a fan of twist & prays or splices myself either. The male pin on the vehicle side is ground and most often trailers ground to the frame anyway, so could be moot once you set the coupler on the ball.

A 7-to-4 adapter would also solve your issue.

2010 expedition el.

I agree.. but I like using factory parts if its not that expensive. I do intend on using this to pull price down a little bit.. maybe. I actually dont have any need to tow, unless the jeep goes belly up any time soon.. but I like knowing what the fix needed is, and what its gonna cost me in $$ and in time.

OP
OP
S

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I ended up buying it.. and I was completely wrong. The lady that took the pic of the harness.. well she was so well centered on the pin, it looked like it was broken off flush looking down the barrel.. but when I got there.. it was in perfect condition..