Reset....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legendary70

Reaction score
Hello all.

I was wanting some advice that will not cost me a fortune. My info-setup-reset button is having issues. From what i can see the info works fine. Setup i think works (cannot tell because reset dont work) but my reset button dont work. What could it be? advice?

2013 Expedition xlt el.

Thanks in advance.

Plati

Reaction score
do all three buttons have the same tactile feeling when you press them ... they all click and arent stuck in any way, all identical ... even if you press on the corners?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The entire radio surround with the switch just snaps out. You'd need a wiring diagram that shows the pins on the button module, and a meter to test the continuity of each button switch. Or you can just throw a new part at it and see if it works. The mechanical switch is the most likely culprit.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 4 pin unit. Pin 1 is night time illumination, corresponds to a baby blue wire with red stripe on most Fords, not 100% sure on your 2013. Pin 4 is ground. Between the two are for signal. If your night time illumination works then there is no need to test continuity.

Next to illumination is signal return. Next to that is switch signal.

Each of the three buttons pressed (should) return a different resistance when measured across these center two pins. Not sure what those values are, but for example, RESET might be 500 ohms, INFO 300 ohms, SETUP 150 ohms. If you get absolutely nothing then the switch is bad and the numbers are moot anyway.

So if you have a meter and want to mess with it, set for 10K and put your leads on the two center pins and push any of the three buttons to see if they each have a unique resistance. If so, the switch works and trouble could be elsewhere. Assuming the unknown resistance value is what the truck expects.

For what its worth, the part number is 6E5Z10D889AA and is the same exact part used in 06-12 Ford Fusion, its Mercury and Lincoln siblings, as well as 07-17 Expeditions. So inexpensive and plentiful. Should be able to buy a new one for $30 something, obviously less for used. Furthermore, the same switch is used in a plethora of other Ford/Linc/Merc vehicles, just with a different colored/sized faceplate. The switch itself is the same.

OP
OP
legendary70

legendary70

Reaction score
Thank you all. I will take it to someone to check it with a meter. but I will probably just buy the switch itself and put it in. thx

OP
OP
legendary70

legendary70

Reaction score
well well well.

i took my truck to get an alarm installed. they were having issues programming the alarm so after hours of trying.....they decided to unhook the negative terminal to reset all. AND guess what. the alarm works.....great.....BUT now my info-setup-reset issue is GONE. YES!!! How strange life works sometimes. Thx

Plati

Reaction score
I was wondering about suggesting that. Dang computer reboot works miracles sometimes. Better than replacing the switch unit and not confirming it was faulty. Now you gotta wonder if problem will come back?

I was on a plane a few years ago ... delayed taking off trying to fix a problem. They powered the plane off and on and rebooted it fixed the problem. Makes you feel real safe!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Computers and their ancillary items get overloaded. That's why you have to power down your phone or computer sometimes. We've had more members here that have gotten their electrical items again by just powering down. It's simple, it's free, and best of all, it works.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk