Rough idle? P0171, P0174? Here's what you need to check first!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smmjkg12

Reaction score
Replaced line, same codes

Hi there,
I had the same 2 codes and found a hold on the elbow in the back as well. I replaced the whole assembly for $35 from the dealer. Reset the CEL and the car has been running great. 5 days after the CEL came back on and am showing the same codes, running too lean.
Any Ideas?

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hi there,
I had the same 2 codes and found a hold on the elbow in the back as well. I replaced the whole assembly for $35 from the dealer. Reset the CEL and the car has been running great. 5 days after the CEL came back on and am showing the same codes, running too lean.
Any Ideas?

Dirty MAF Sensor? I'm sure there are loads of info on here on how to clean it. If not, here's a link another member posted a while back with some info on it.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_lean_codes.htm

RonnieGeo

Reaction score
Same problem - THANK YOU!!!!

I had this exact same issue - thanks to your post (and excellent pictures) I was able to find the "elbow" by feel and I felt the hole. Bought just the elbow at Napa for about 13.00 and it runs great now.

Thank you - saved a lot of money having the mechanic search for this (already spent some and he didn't find it!).

Ken

Kurgenraider

Reaction score
P0171 error

Guys,

Would this then trigger a 1131, 1151 and/or 1506? I got em all along with 0156 and 1074. God love Ohio for requiring the e-check for otherwise I would just go on living my life pain free.

bigmax88

Reaction score
is this the same on a 98 4.6 with the 2 coil packs? it looks like the pcv is on the drivers side and goes to the intake piping on mine. am i looking in the wrong spot?

Kurgenraider

Reaction score
Elbow fitting

Went to Car Quest last eve and they had the elbow piece on the wall with other small tubes and hose fittings. It was about $13.

aalex24

Reaction score
02 Ford Exp 4.6

I am unable to find that elbow, from what I can tell there is a hose that comes out of the PVC valve and then goes into the intake directly. Am I looking at the wrong place?

johel77

Reaction score
Same codes po171 po174 po300

I had same codes show up few months ago. Reading some posts I looked for some vacuum leaks and in doing that I found a lot of gunk in one of the hoses on the left side of the engine as shown in pics. Cleaned that up and it helped a lot, but not completely smooth as it used to be. By the way why all that gunk formed in there? is the engine dying or something? it feels strong now. Any help will be greately appreciated.

Johel.

2001 Expedition 5.4.

Attachments

• Gunk.jpg
    Gunk.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,140

lynn

Reaction score
2000 5.4

I started last week with high idle coming and going. The pcv valve was making funny noises so I changed it and the air filter. Ran good for a day than started again, one morning after being parked outside ( 9 deg. cold!!!!) would not stay runny, idle would go to low, until I reved it high for ten minutes to warm up. I checked the hose and elbows found no leeks took off the IAC looked ok little dirty looked in the throttle body and its realy dirty. I checked for codes with my reader and had none. So I went ahead and took it to the dealer and they said I had a clogged fuel filter they changed it and kept it over night and it started fine for them this morning. They wanted to do a trans and transfer case flush and filter change so I said go ahead I was think about that any way. I'm going to pick it up in the morning and hopefully it has no more idle problems if it does I'll start changing the IAC, TPS and that hose and elbow etc. myself.

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Don't forgetcleaning the the MAF as well. It's a5 dollar/ 25 second fix. Sometimes just cleaning it will make big changes to how you run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971