Rumble and rattling from a 97 EB Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMilktoast

Reaction score
I've been reading forums all day and found problems similar to mine but not quite the same. I'm trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and maybe found a solution.

The vehicle currently has 103K miles. I purchased it with 99K miles at the beginning of April and took it up to New Jersey to visit my family. The trip started and at around 80Mph there was a quiet rumble coming from the rear-end. The noise continued to get louder and start/stop in different speed ranges. By the end the voyage it would start rumbling (quietly) at 40Mph to 50Mph and then again (not quietly) at 64Mph and do so (getting louder all the way) until 82Mph where there was no vibration whatsoever. At it's loudest is sounds like a loud grinding vibration coming from the rear. Did I mention not-subtle? The vibration starts at the rear and moves all the way up the body (through the gas pedal too) When decelerating, the SUV, along with the rumbling, makes the grinding noise between 80Mph to 72Mph. At the height of all of this, the thing felt like it was going to shake itself apart. It feels as if the whole frame is oscillating.

I took my Expedition to a Goodyear mechanic and they said my rear axle seals were bad and that upon closer inspection the bearings were also bad (a ring had started of rubbed away metal on the axle). Also my driveshaft was squeaking - they replaced the u-joints. $777.70 (and 8 hours later!) I got my vehicle back. I was happy that the rumbling had stopped. I've had a noisy driveshaft since this visit and they don't know what's causing it. And I'm very sad to say I am feeling the same vibration coming back again, manifesting itself as a low rumble in the 40Mph to 50Mph range and a louder rumble in the 75Mph-80Mph range. I don't know what to do! I love this vehicle and it suits my lifestyle as a musician who often times has to carry equipment or people or both. Sorry for the long story. If anyone out there knows what this is, I'd love to know too, so I can get it fixed without going broke.

Dan Manata

Last edited:

kwyorman

Reaction score
Rumbling

This sounds like the same problem I am having, but have not found the answer yet. Have you, or anyone else figured this out yet?