Running board hinge replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
So, I’ve been on a journey with my running boards. I purchased a replacement motor, but fubar’d the hinge trying to remove just the motor, and so I returned that and got a replacement hinge/motor assembly.

On the old hinge, there was a bar (rod?) that ran across to the rear hinge. It was riveted onto one of the pins in the hinge. But the new hinge doesn’t have a pin that is long enough for the bar.

is the bar necessary? Can I remove it and run without it? Am I missing something obvious?
06808A45-A3CC-4E55-B5E5-2D236BF1BE7C.jpeg ADB868CB-A362-4807-8D1D-567047F2E62E.jpeg

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The connecting bar is needed for EL models because the running board is so long. I transfers some of the torque from the motor to the rear hinge assembly.

You got a new front hinge that's made only for non-EL aka "shorty" models. These cannot be used on long-wheelbase trucks. You will need the correct hinge for an EL or Navigator "L" model.

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
So, I made my own custom hinge extension.

Went to my local Ace Hardware, got a 3/8” clovis pin, drilled a hole for a threaded shaft, drilled the head off the pin, drilled a hole in the hinge pin for a threaded shaft, tapped both holes, ran a shaft into the pin and then screwed the assembly into the hinge.

bingo, bango, bob’s your uncle.

8A3FAADD-41A7-4A06-94B3-B584DA5942ED.jpeg

AD17A362-F39E-4F4B-9880-FD7B02EE761D.jpeg

1AE2104D-ADA2-4F96-894C-5A162707D5EE.jpeg

9C52A7F6-00DE-460E-9D31-CE9689E944AC.jpeg

D8CD6E0B-6B12-471F-A5F1-59625A272170.jpeg

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I made my own custom hinge extension.

Went to my local Ace Hardware, got a 3/8” clovis pin, drilled a hole for a threaded shaft, drilled the head off the pin, drilled a hole in the hinge pin for a threaded shaft, tapped both holes, ran a shaft into the pin and then screwed the assembly into the hinge.

bingo, bango, bob’s your uncle.

View attachment 33642

View attachment 33643

View attachment 33645

View attachment 33646

View attachment 33647
After the coming apocalypse, people like you will be like gods.

And this guy will be on my team....

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Impressive! :) Is there any chance it might try to unscrew itself while working back and forth? I'm guessing not but stranger things have happened. LOL

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Impressive! :) Is there any chance it might try to unscrew itself while working back and forth? I'm guessing not but stranger things have happened. LOL
I thought about that, and don’t think it should be an issue since it will never make a full rotation.So even if it does unscrew a little when deploying, it is just as likely to screw back in when retracting.
Plus, it’s still affixed to the rear, which will reduce unscrewing as well.

Of course, you’re right, and Murphy and his law show up at the most inopportune times. So I dumped a little red locktite into both halves. It’s not going anywhere.

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Whelp, Murphy saw my hubris and punished me justly for it.

As soon as I reinstalled the board and hinges on the truck, the torque broke the locktite and/or the threads, so the hinges just rotated independently.

Gonna have to tear it apart and either a.) drive the old pin out of the old hinge and replace it, or b.) try my fix again, but with a longer, thicker shaft.

(That’s what she said.)