Runninmg Boards stuck in out position

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by the hogg, Dec 1, 2019 at 7:48 AM.

1. the hogg

the hogg New Member

Just purchased a 2012 Limited and the running boards will not retract...anyone have any ideas on where to start to fix the problem...no matter how I set them on the dash they still won't retract...thanks

2. Anthony A Vialet

Anthony A Vialet Member

My driver side was doing the same thing. First thing you have to do is determine if the motor is functioning. If it is you're gonna have to get under it. What I did was sprayed the Motor and joints with some WD40 mine started functioning as intended almost immediately, the next day It malfunctioned again. WD40 again along with liquid wrench lithium the white stuff. Has mot given me a problem since.

3. the hogg

the hogg New Member

Thanks Anthony...will try our best tomorrow...hope it works...

Anthony A Vialet likes this.
  4. Anthony A Vialet

Anthony A Vialet Member

Let me know f you had any luck. I sure as heck did

5. the hogg

the hogg New Member

No luck yet...sprayed them 2 days in a row...waiting to put it on a lift and make things easier...I'll let you know what comes of it...saw motors without brackets on E-Bay for 60 or 70 dollars...beats Rock Auto prices...

6. Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones Member

Do they move (wiggle) if you try to move them by hand/foot?

My driver side would lift half way if I lifted it myself, but my passenger was completely frozen. A day’s soak with pb blaster and the passenger side works as it should. Driver side needs motor replacement, as the gearing isn’t grabbing until I lift it that halfway.

7. Jamo

Jamo Full Access Members

I'm beginning to think it might be my contacts at the plugs or motor itself. I tried cleaning, spraying, lubing, etc during the summer months and they would work fine or not. I quit doing anything and they would still work fine for a few days, then not. We are in the thick of winter now, with sand, salt, snow, and ice on my stuck down position board (dr side) and the other day it started working as it should, but didn't last long. Back to stuck down. My pass side board has worked 100% of the time since I bought my EL LTD last Jan 2. Huh...