Safety Recall 22S36 - Certain 2021 Model Year Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Vehicles - Underhood Fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am confused on this. I called to make an appointment for the fix they said will need it for 2 days . I also asked about parts availability as mentioned in the notice and they said there are no parts the recall is just an inspection and tape. They are a smaller dealership and did admit mine will be the first they have seen or done with this issue which makes me a bit nervous.

So for those of you who had it done did they actually change anything or what did they actually do. I thought the inspection was related to rental reimbursement.
If you have heavy duty cooling there is a 2-3 hour fix. Provided there is nothing burnt or melted. I had no damage.

bjohnson425

Reaction score
There are two different procedures depending on whether you have HD cooling or not. HD cooling goes with HT tow.

If you have HD tow which has the higher output cooling fans then there is a fix. Look on your Ford Pass app or the website and see which recall number is associated with your VIN. If it's S2248 then there is a fix. If you don't have HD tow you have the lower output cooling fans then there is a fix but parts are not available yet.

That was my understanding. I have the non-HD . Sounds like the dealership has no idea what’s going on with it.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*Major Update* Standard Duty Final Repair Procedures Released. Dealer Recall response upgraded.

Highlights from the Dealer Bulletin (as cut-and-pasted text to hasten my providing this post)...

New! REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
• Updated technical instructions with complete repair and parts information (For Standard Duty).
• The Aux Box Wire Assembly will be made available in a seed stock program beginning week of July
18th, running through the month of August
• Updated rental guidelines to include pick-up and delivery, towing, alternative transportation, and mobile service
• Updated labor operation codes
• Updated claiming information

Ford Motor Company has developed a remedy for those vehicles equipped with a Standard-Duty Cooling Fan.

Final Repair Now Available:
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to install the aux box wire assembly, and remove a ground wire from the BJB, also inspect the battery junction box (BJB) for damage, replace as required per the technical instructions. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Ford Motor Company is working closely with its suppliers to produce parts for this repair. Until parts become available, Interim Battery Disconnect/Reconnect Service.

All Repairs (when parts are available):
To assist vehicle owners to have this repair completed when parts are available, dealers should:
• Mobile repairs are not possible due to repair complexity.
• Proactively contact owners when parts are available:
o Arrange to pick-up the owner’s vehicle and drive it to the dealership for repairs (rentals are
authorized – see Rental Vehicles)
• Re-deliver the owner’s vehicle after repairs have been completed.
• Pick-up and delivery, towing, alternative transportation, and mobile service should be made available for all customers. Refer to the Rental and Claiming sections for further details.

New! Administrative Allowance:
An administrative allowance of one hour is available to assist dealers in prioritizing these repairs, and create a flawless service experience for our customers (this administrative allowance expires September 17, 2022)

New! RENTAL VEHICLES
Short-Term Rentals (parts available) Dealers are pre-approved for up to two days for a comparable rental vehicle (no SSSC contact required).
Long-Term Rentals (parts not available) Dealers are self authorized to provide long-term rental vehicles immediately.
• Dealers will need to contact the SSSC for an approval code, the same day the rental is authorized.
(Note: The approval code is not required prior to putting the customer into a rental.)
• The approval code will ensure part availability for the vehicle after putting the customer in a rental.
• If long-term rental vehicles are needed beyond September 15, 2022, dealers will have to contact SSSC for an extension.

Towing - If towing is required, dealers are authorized to claim up to a maximum value of $250 to provide towing services for this program.
• Provision for Towing: Dealers are authorized to claim up to a maximum value of $250 to provide
towing services for completing this program, only if BJB or other related damage exists and the repair
cannot be completed by mobile service. Submit on the same line as the repair.

Rentals: For rental vehicle claiming, dealers are pre-approved for local market rates for both short and
long-term rentals. Enter the total amount of the rental expense under Miscellaneous Expense code
RENTAL. If submitting a daily rental amount above guidelines, ($60 per day Ford, $72 per day Lincoln),please provide evidence of locally higher rates.

Pick-Up and Delivery
All customers affected by this recall have the option of complimentary Vehicle Pickup & Delivery service (at participating dealers) with a short-term rental for up to two days. Claim any additional rental days approved by the SSSC as instructed.
Dealers are authorized to claim unique services for completing this program, including:
• Dealers are authorized to claim one-half labor hour per repair for vehicle pick-up and delivery services.
• Dealers must retain a Vehicle Pick-up and Delivery Record with the repair order documentation. Refer to the Claims Preparation and Submission section and Attachment IV for details.

Alternative Transportation
If a customer is unable or does not wish to rent a vehicle but still requires transportation, the rental
reimbursement allowance can be used for alternative transportation. Alternative transportation is approved for $100 per day for both Ford and Lincoln customers. The dollar per day allowance can be cumulative across multiple rides per day (e.g. ride to work $20 and ride home $24).
• Alternative transportation reimbursement can be claimed for both short-term and long-term scenarios.
• Any amount in excess of the cost per day limits will be the customer’s responsibility.
• The customer will need to pay up front and provide proof of payment to the dealer.
• Dealers will then need to submit for reimbursement following the Rental Vehicle Reimbursement
Process and then refund the customer.
Examples of alternative transportation:
• Taxi
• Public Transportation - Subway, Train, or Bus
• Rideshare alternatives (Uber, Lyft, etc.)

New! PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
Seed Stock:
To ensure an equitable distribution of service parts, the aux box wire assembly will be seed stocked (to dealers with one or more VINs assigned to their dealership).
1. Effective immediately, the aux box wire assembly is available only through the seed stock program.
SSSC will not be accepting orders for the aux box wire assembly until the seed stock program is
complete.
2. Due to current supply-chain constraints, dealers will receive seed-stock beginning in mid-to-late July. Timing of the second and sequential seed-stocks will follow as parts are available.
3. The quantity shipped to each dealer will be equal to a percentage of the vehicles assigned to them.
Part NumberDescriptionOrder Quantity
ML1Z- 13A840-AAux Box Wire Assembly1
SSSC Web Contact Site:
Parts are not yet available to repair all vehicles. Until parts are available to repair all vehicles, dealers may only order parts and repair vehicles, which are customer-owned vehicles currently in the dealership. (*emphasis added*)
• To place an order for the following parts, submit a VIN-specific Part Order contact via the SSSC Web
Contact Site - three or more photos as required per the technical instructions.
o Door label with VIN
o Odometer showing mileage of vehicle
o Review the updated technical instructions and provide photos as requested for each step the BJB
fuse panel, top covers or bottom fails the inspection process per the Technical Instructions.
BJB - Only replace the BJB and/or covers if melted, burned, or broken per the technical instructions.

Part NumberDescriptionOrder
Quantity
Claim
Quantity
LL1Z-14A068-ABJB – Fuse Panel Assembly
(Comes with a new cover – do not order JU5Z-14A003-B also)
Only after
failed
Inspection
As
Required
JL3Z-14A003-AHigh Current Fuse CoverOnly after
failed
Inspection
As
Required
JL3Z-14A003-BBottom Cover of BJBOnly after
failed
Inspection
As
Required
JU5Z-14A003-BFuse Panel Top Cover
- not required if BJB is being replaced
Only after
failed
Inspection
As
Required
Dealers will be notified via a DOES II communication if circumstances warrant a change in part supply strategy and when open ordering resumes.

=============================================================

Final Repair Procedures as single continuous image of all pages of official released document:

Standard Duty Cooling Fan vehicles... https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52227945615_468276edef_o.jpg

Heavy Duty Cooling Fan vehicles... https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52204414503_2c643b34d8_o.jpg

To download the image(s) to your local storage, with the image opened to full-width view in browser, right click on the image and select "Save image as..." in the resulting popup menu.

Last edited:

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have heavy duty cooling there is a 2-3 hour fix. Provided there is nothing burnt or melted. I had no damage.

Ford is paying the dealers 1.1hr for the HD cooling fix. I'm sure the first time it will take a tech double that (it did with mine) but after looking over the procedure I bet a good tech will get that time down to 30 min or so after he does a handful.

bjohnson425

Reaction score
What a mess and this just confirms what I thought my dealer has no idea what they are talking about or where to even begin with this , looks like I’ll be driving to a further away dealership to get this done.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a mess and this just confirms what I thought my dealer has no idea what they are talking about or where to even begin with this , looks like I’ll be driving to a further away dealership to get this done.

If you don't have confidence in them then I'd definitely take it somewhere else. The non HD procedure looks pretty complicated.

neuralfraud

Reaction score
So looks like the timing is good to make an appointment, evidently it takes a couple days for the service department to actually get the facts and get things rolling with ford.

just talking on the phone got me nowhere, they were literally like "uhh i dont know what you mean...rentals...we dont have rentals..." Basically noone knew anything about this recall program other than the recall existed and they dont have parts.

Now I'm in a '22 Suburban LT free of charge.

Once they call ford, they get the real info, and of course if you have CONDITIONS such as... you have to park in a parking garage, for instance, for work - even, then ford will take care of you until the recall is fixed - this is right along with what @HazBeen posted

The relationship with enterprise is worth a heavy discount, so yeah they should be able to put you in something similar without having to incur out of pocket expense.

It sure would be a dream for them to call me and say "hey we got the parts and your vehicle will be fixed by Saturday!" lol

until then.... I guess I can live with a Suburban LT... and let me tell you - it doesnt come close to the Expedition limited. This one has literally no additional features...its bland, its blah, the steering wheel feels weird, the pedal position is like Barb's Scalloped Potatoes - Fvcked!

bjohnson425

Reaction score
until then.... I guess I can live with a Suburban LT... and let me tell you - it doesnt come close to the Expedition limited. This one has literally no additional features...its bland, its blah, the steering wheel feels weird, the pedal position is like Barb's Scalloped Potatoes - Fvcked!

Features like spontaneously combusting, shifting into neutral randomly at wide open throttle, windshield wipers flying off ,wastegates grenading and cam phasers that sound like a diesel starting at -10.

Our expedition has been the biggest POS we have ever owned . It has been in the shop for 9 out of 15 months of ownership. I have been desperately looking for a Toyota /Lexus to trade this thing in on .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65