Second Row seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

old codger

Reaction score
The second row seating on passenger side latches but does not seem to latch completely. The seat will not move out of position but you can tell it does not seem to be completely latched because I can feel it move up and down a small amount on the inboard latch when I put weight on that corner of the seat. Anyone have this same issue and if so how did you resolve the problem

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Year? Assuming 07+ unfortunately, for the most part, the seat frame is not serviceable (i.e. few parts can be replaced individually). You might try lubricating the mechanisms (including the points where cables enter/exit their sleeves) with white lithium grease.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its totally serviceable

You could try taking off the cover above the lever to access mechanism and see if something detached or is obstructing it, and what can be done about it

Youd need to make it unlatch one way or another to replace or service the seat anyway.

You can transplant your seat covers onto another seat frame from salvage/craigslist/ebay if it's totally fubared, but youll still need to unlatch it first

PS also see if all the seat to floor bolts are nice and tight, maybe it just wiggled loose and the angle of the latch is messing with it

OP
OP
O

old codger

Reaction score
It is a 2017, but I never thought to check bolts on seat. The seat being a little loose from the bracket could do what I am experiencing. Thanks!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently, you haven't read the Factory Service Manual.

I frankly don't care what dealership considers serviceable vs replace only.

Ive torn these down and put em back together. There's specific issues within the mechanism that CAN be addressed.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seat frames are an important safety item as any malfunction in the frame, attachment points, or mechanism could have potentially serious consequences. Ford recommends that a broken seat frame be replaced. It's always best to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer as presented in the FSM. You are of course free to do what you want. If you choose to vary from those instructions, however, it will be at your own risk (which includes potential property damage, personal injury, and/or liability).

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seat frames are an important safety item as any malfunction in the frame, attachment points, or mechanism could have potentially serious consequences. Ford recommends that a broken seat frame be replaced. It's always best to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer as presented in the FSM. You are of course free to do what you want. If you choose to vary from those instructions, however, it will be at your own risk (which includes potential property damage, personal injury, and/or liability).

Ford also recommends you disassemble the entire dashboard to replace the blend door actuator located behind the stereo, which dealerships bill as a 10+ hour job. Alternately, you could ignore the FSM, remove the stereo, and be done in under 1 hour. FWIW, Ford also recommends I change my transmission fluid every 150K miles. I did it at 95K and it was clearly overdue. The manuals are a guide and should not be considered a substitute for common sense.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good point, but if you don't follow proper procedures when replacing your BDA it probably won't endanger the life of one of your passengers. When it comes to things like seats, seatbelts, airbags, etc. it's hard to argue that being "better safe than sorry" isn't a wise approach.