Self Levelling? Platinum with tow package.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You keep moving the target!!!! LOL.

The conversation has been about the Denali vs the expedition, now you are posting a video with two ford trucks!!

A race at 1 mile above sea level definitely proves something!!!! It proves that the expedition embarrasses the Denali at 1 mile above sea level!!!

And I’m not sure what you consider the definition of eat alive, but the 3.5 never fell behind the back wheel of the 6.2. Eat alive is literally walking something by a few car lengths, like the expy did to the Denali.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expeditions IRS means we are getting stuck far before the Denali despite the higher clearance. Our control arms hang up long before they do.
Did I miss something or don't both the Denali and the Expedition have independent FRONT suspensions, which, if one is driving forward, is going to get hung up long before the rear suspension gets hung up. But, again, on the Denali, in order to get hung up on the under carriage, you'll have to get past the lower ground clearance and 15.3 degree approach angle. (Yes, the Land Cruiser, is the clear winner here, but we've been comparing the GM and Ford offerings.) And don't get me started on what happens when you drag that Denali's oil pan over something....
As far as the 4WD it's not really neutured but lamed down for one reason, it's all optional now.
So it's neutered because a buyer could be too lazy to check the correct box on the order sheet or to make sure the dealer finds what you really want?(!) Seriously? If we're going to play that game, then the Armada has the best towing capability because you have to check the right box to get a trailer brake controller on the Fords and the GMs.
If you order 4x4 you do not even get low range until you get HD tow, And a 4x4 High range isn't even available. When mine was ordered 4WD Drive meant 2H, 4A, 4H, and 4L modes and functionality.
Again, with the "well, you gotta make sure you ask for what you want" I hate the new McDonalds, too. It was way better when the only question you had to answer was whether or not you wanted cheese on that hamburger.
Our systems use braking bias and send power to the wheel with traction anyway, basically eliminating the weaknesses of open diffs (Using AdvanceTrac). Factory Lockers are meh, use them in the super duties all the time they are ok. They can't do much more than a standard 4WD truck, when the truck hits its limit 4 wheels often aren't enough at that point.
So, the 4th Gen really DOES have a more capable 4x4 system, it's just not more capable enough to matter in the real world? I mean this whole thread reads like you and 07xln really, really want to dislike the 4th Gen Expy and are just casting about for whatever might help you reach the conclusion you want.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The video (below) isn't from Ford but it has a couple of guys from Ford doing the testing. And yes the expedition is sagging way more than the Suburban. They also mention the Expedition pulls the load about the same as the much less powered Suburban. As I said before in this thread, with the new model Ford sacrificed capability for added comfort. I'm gonna run out into the garage and tell my 17 model how much I love her

Wait a minute! That suburban was technically overloaded. Go here and look for the little note on the Suburban which specifies a WDH for trailers over 5000lbs: https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam...017-chevrolet-trailering-and-towing-guide.pdf

It would appear, however, that the Expy will take up to 630lbs dead hitch weight and 6300lbs of trailer without a WDH. Ok, they did have two passengers, so they may have still overloaded the Expy as well. My main point is to challenge the assumption that since the Suburban sags less, therefore it must be a more capable tow vehicle. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...l/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Oct5.pdf

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When mine was ordered 4WD Drive meant 2H, 4A, 4H, and 4L modes and functionality. Our systems use braking bias and send power to the wheel with traction anyway, basically eliminating the weaknesses of open diffs (Using AdvanceTrac).
The one thing about 4H, you don't get to manually set the torque split to 50/50 but certain drive modes will set it to do so, essentially the same thing as 4H.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TFLT will be doing some comparisons between the Denali and the Platinum.

Here is a sneak peak Roman tipped me off to that he posted today.

You can probably deduce what you are about to see!!

Finally got around to watching this, The expedition had a 3.73 axle and the Denali a 3.23 and the Nissan a 2.93, That's a very unfair comparison. I love my fords but a race needs to be fair, cool video nonetheless, I enjoy these.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the gmc come with any rear end options? I just tried to build one and didn’t see any options to change the gearing.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this, The expedition had a 3.73 axle and the Denali a 3.23 and the Nissan a 2.93, That's a very unfair comparison. I love my fords but a race needs to be fair, cool video nonetheless, I enjoy these.
Why's it unfair? If you get a Denali, you get the 3.23 rear axle. Sure it handicaps, the Denali, but that was design choice made by the manufacturer. So it's a handicap in the same sense that the Ford is handicapped by not having the higher output 3.5L found in the Raptor. (Ok, it might be a bit unfair doing it at altitude, but not for rear axle choices...)

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chatted with Ford again today, they confirmed no LL on the 2018.

Outrigger

Reaction score
My 2015 Expedition was equipped with the optional equipment "Self RR Load Levelor Suspension" at an optional charge. Also now since the truck is 5 years old the two rear load levelor shocks are in need of replacing at a cost of about $940.
Does anyone know if these might be available through another mfg. other than ford parts?