Self Levelling? Platinum with tow package.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that I have seen. It has Magnaride shocks like the Escalade and other GM products now. Those don't auto level.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything in the brochures or ordering pages on the Ford site that would indicate self-leveling is available as an option or standard equipment on any of the configurations.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the lack of a self leveling suspension offering as a positive, not a negative. I personally viewed it was an engineering kludge to make up for the excessive squat (likely due to the IRS) when loaded. If Ford let the engineers do their jobs and design the IRS properly, you shouldn't need a self leveling suspension because it shouldn't end up with the hood pointing to the sky when loaded*. I'm also thinking this is one of the reasons why the Gen 4s are so much more expensive than the Gen 3s.
*It's just like the speed sensitive volume control. When I just had my old Jeep, it seemed like a pretty good idea. Then I bought a Jaguar and learned that you shouldn't need speed sensitive volume control...

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the lack of a self leveling suspension offering as a positive, not a negative. I personally viewed it was an engineering kludge to make up for the excessive squat (likely due to the IRS) when loaded. If Ford let the engineers do their jobs and design the IRS properly, you shouldn't need a self leveling suspension ...

HUH!!!??? This is backward thinking and again just proves the "truck" aspect of the Expedition has been replaced with a mini van type design. Capability has been replaced with comfort.

It doesn't matter if its IRS or a solid axle with leaf springs. If you add enough weight anything is going to squat. There isn't anything negative about a suspension that is able to level itself out when an increased load is added. It both improves the ride and makes the ride safer

cvx16

Reaction score
May be of interest... I found out that the self load leveling suspension and Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) system are mutually exclusive and cannot be on the vehicle at the same time. This is at least the case on my 2016 Limited. I assume it's the same on the 2018s.

Also from what I learned, the CCD system is what enables the Driver Select Modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport) and if you have the self leveling suspension, you necessarily won't have the selectable drive modes.

Had a short discussion about this yesterday in fact if interested:
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/selectable-drive-modes-vs-load-leveling-suspension.34836/

All that may or may not be related to your question, but it's information I wish I would have had before purchasing my 2016.

pohoda

Reaction score
I am curious how the towing a 7500lb trailer is with load leveling. I heard on some of the RV forums that is was not good for towing a heavy trailer like that. With a weight distribution system the back on my Expy didn't sag as much, but it was noticeable still.

woody929

Reaction score
I’ve been searching for answers to this question for months. I have a 15 limited that squats when I have my 6,000 boat attached. WD hitch isn’t an option.

I was considering a Tahoe/Yukon with platinum plus since I know last years LTZs would level a load like mine. However the interior is too cramped in the 3rd row, thus not an option for my family of 5. My current expy tows like a beast, so going back to GM was going to be tough.

So now I’ve been in a serious search for what apparently has become a unicorn expy due to the 3.73 shortage.

I’ve read somewhere that the 18s all come with Nivomats, and the dealer said the same thing after I asked specifically. I just don’t know if they are just thinking they know/talking vs actually knowing the answer.

So now I’m between 301a w/ special edition (which I think I can find), or 302a with HD which I’ve only found 2 within 700 miles.