Self Levelling? Platinum with tow package.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, mines is also 2wd and its actually quite sturdy in inclement wather. I did get it stuck in the mud, but thats a story for another day.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was something that we discussed (4x4), but in the end we decided we would never use it.
In the short month I’ve had mine, with the 4wd, I’ve had it in 4A most of the time because it’s rained a LOT. Keep in mind I live in Dallas so it’s not like I live down a dirt road. These ecoboosts are so torquey that the back end has broken loose several times on slippery roads. I have been really pleased/impressed how quickly and seamlessly the 4A recognized what was happening and kicked the front wheels in. There’s also a little display in the dash which will show power distribution in real time and it’s pretty cool.

All of that to say: no, the 4wd is absolutely not necessary if you’re keeping it on pavement (and maybe even if you’re not) but it has been nice to have. I just got it because I’d hate to have spent this much and then wish I had checked that box given that it’s not something you can add later if you change your mind (like rear seat entertainment or something). If you didn’t get it I doubt you’ll miss it.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was something that we discussed (4x4), but in the end we decided we would never use it.

Depending on weather/road conditions the 4x4 adds the 4A option for all wheel driving on the road, or at least it does on the 2016.

In Sacramento we go long dry periods, and then the roads are slick for the first 1-2 days of rain. Also we have had some ice on the roads in the area when I leave for work at 4:30 AM. I have used 4A as a precaution, and it feels like it sticks to the road.

hunter991

Reaction score
There is a video from FORD of all people pitting the new Expy against the suburban. The Expy is squatting like crazy with the trailer hooked up. This was one of a few reasons why i bought my tahoe instead of the new expy.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a video from FORD of all people pitting the new Expy against the suburban. The Expy is squatting like crazy with the trailer hooked up. This was one of a few reasons why i bought my tahoe instead of the new expy.
Links or it didn't happen!

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The video (below) isn't from Ford but it has a couple of guys from Ford doing the testing. And yes the expedition is sagging way more than the Suburban. They also mention the Expedition pulls the load about the same as the much less powered Suburban. As I said before in this thread, with the new model Ford sacrificed capability for added comfort. I'm gonna run out into the garage and tell my 17 model how much I love her

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20hp=much less powered?

I would disagree the expedition is sagging "way more"

If you watch their Ike gauntlet torture test w/ 7,000lb trailer. The expedition has the best score of ANY SUV.

Unless you are towing everyday, I wouldn’t sacrifice the comfort of the family for something we do 12 times a year. The expedition rides so much better than the GMs.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suburban = 355hp 383tq
Expedition = 375hp 470tq

Yes I would say the Suburban overall is much less powered

Let me explain
Torque is a rotating force produced by an engine’s crankshaft. The more torque an engine produces, the greater its ability to perform work.

With almost 100 more ftlbs of torque and 4 more gears to chose from the Expedition should have towed better than the Suburban period.

And I don't care if you disagree or not. If you cant tell the Expedition is sagging a lot more then the Suburban you need to get your eyes checked or update the prescription on your glasses. The Suburban is damn near level the entire time and the Expy is clearly not.

You make it sound like every model prior to 18 is riding around on wagon wheels or something. Sacrifice the comfort of your family are you serious!!!!! Ive had no complaints from my family of 5 concerning the comfort of the ride when towing or not.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he meant comfort in regards to the suburban. Regardless, many testers have towed and compared back to back the gm amd expys and regardless of squat, the expy is a better tow vehicle, and more comfortable doin it.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suburban = 355hp 383tq
Expedition = 375hp 470tq

Yes I would say the Suburban overall is much less powered

Let me explain
Torque is a rotating force produced by an engine’s crankshaft. The more torque an engine produces, the greater its ability to perform work.

With almost 100 more ftlbs of torque and 4 more gears to chose from the Expedition should have towed better than the Suburban period.

And I don't care if you disagree or not. If you cant tell the Expedition is sagging a lot more then the Suburban you need to get your eyes checked or update the prescription on your glasses. The Suburban is damn near level the entire time and the Expy is clearly not.

You make it sound like every model prior to 18 is riding around on wagon wheels or something. Sacrifice the comfort of your family are you serious!!!!! Ive had no complaints from my family of 5 concerning the comfort of the ride when towing or not.

LOL, why you mad bro?

Power and torque are two different things! So my reply to power between the two stands! If you had said, pulled the same as the suburban, with much less torque......... that would have been correct.

And yes, as dlcorbett deduced, I was speaking in relation to the GM, the only other vehicle mentioned in the discussions quoted!! But I will throw ANY SUV into that statement. Why would anyone choose a vehicle that squats less but has an inferior ride unless you tow more than transport family? I drive my family around 365days a year and tow maybe 12-20 times MAX. That would make no sense.

So...............enjoy yours, I’ll enjoy mine.