Short in the door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently bought a 97 Expy E.B. and when I rolled the passenger window all the way down yesterday it triggered a short and all of my windows froze. I gave it a minute and everything is fine. Then tested it again and when the window gets about 5 inches from all the way down it shorted again and I heard it. I would guess its a bare wire somewhere down there. Problem is I know i have to take off the interior door panel. But i am not sure exactly how to do that. I am not a moron but when it comes to cars that is one of my weak points but I am learning. I want to be sure to not break any clips off while trying to do this. The douche at auto zone said there would be screws, but I dont see any. I think it pops off any suggestions about the whole project would be greatly appreciated.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the cover off around the door handle if i remember correctly there's a screw there (gold) There is also a screw on the bottom of the door panel where the light is. Pop off the lens cover GENTLY and remove screw. After that all you have to do is carefully remove the door panel. I always start from the the top (triangle piece) and go around the door poppoing the clips off first. These clips im talking about are plastic and pretty cheap, so it's possible that some might break of even slide off the door panel itself. If they do break, not a big deal they are cheap to replace, just visit the local hardware store.

After all clips are removed DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL THE PANEL RIGHT OFF. Did you disconnect the window switch? Remove the light bulb? If you have removed these things then all you have to do is make sure that the molded clips that are attached to the panel itself are not caught up on the door. I know it might sound complicated but its realy easy, take your time and check evderything as you go and be sure nothing is still connected. Any problems post back and we will help you somemore. :D