should I consider a trip to my local Machine shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 Expedition E.B. 5.4 v-8 2v if I'm not mistaken, somewhere in the area of 150,000 miles and runs like a champ everyday. however I drive this truck now ALOT and I think it have a lot more potential that can be tapped by getting some upgraded internals. so here is my question(s)
If I were to take it so a machine shop ((drive it there)) and say what are my options to get some more HP across the board and better Gas mileage too? What can we change in this engine to do that?
what is the approximate (ballpark) amount out of my pocket,
and what is a typical down time for a vehicle with this kind of upgrade...

to see if I'm stupid, or o.k., here is my guess:
taking to the machine shop will cost anywhere from $1200-$2200-$3000 if I get a little silly.
the HP increase total from the machine shop will be around 50-75 h.p.(at the fly wheel)
and a gain in mileage over all of 0-5 mpg
with a total down time of 14-21 days (working days)

any insight from a machinist, mechanic, someone that had machine work done, please tell me the details, what parts changed, how much did it cost total, what were the gains, what were the losses? down time? would you do it again, or recommend to a friend in the same situation?

thanks in advance guys you all are always a big help.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No experience with this, but from a financial standpoint, I'd say just do the basic maintenance for now. Drive it until it dies. When that happens and you decide to keep it, just rebuild it exactly as you want. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 Expedition E.B. 5.4 v-8 2v if I'm not mistaken, somewhere in the area of 150,000 miles and runs like a champ everyday. however I drive this truck now ALOT and I think it have a lot more potential that can be tapped by getting some upgraded internals. so here is my question(s)
If I were to take it so a machine shop ((drive it there)) and say what are my options to get some more HP across the board and better Gas mileage too? What can we change in this engine to do that?
what is the approximate (ballpark) amount out of my pocket,
and what is a typical down time for a vehicle with this kind of upgrade...

to see if I'm stupid, or o.k., here is my guess:
taking to the machine shop will cost anywhere from $1200-$2200-$3000 if I get a little silly.
the HP increase total from the machine shop will be around 50-75 h.p.(at the fly wheel)
and a gain in mileage over all of 0-5 mpg
with a total down time of 14-21 days (working days)

any insight from a machinist, mechanic, someone that had machine work done, please tell me the details, what parts changed, how much did it cost total, what were the gains, what were the losses? down time? would you do it again, or recommend to a friend in the same situation?

thanks in advance guys you all are always a big help.

HP and MPG are inverses of eachother. As HP goes up, MPG goes down. (you need more fuel for more power). Any claims up increasing both is most likely a scam or will have such little increase that it is not worth the money. The only way to get serious hp out of the expedition is to put on a supercharger. Anything else is going to not be worth your money. If you're looking to give your expy new life then work on the suspension and will feel like a completely different truck and will be much more fun to drive.