Slow grind crank, limp mode...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
Stamp, checked 86. Only got 0.8 volts. Clearly that won’t trigger the relay.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let's see, putting in a new starter is just tossing parts at the problem. on top of that the problem is in the control circuit not the high current side so he will still be dead in the water.

Jason it is wiring diagram time. I worked on a 2007 with the same issue. There are 49 points that can fail and give you a no start scenario. Troubleshooting it will take time and patience. One thing to try is moving the gear selector while trying to start it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let's see, putting in a new starter is just tossing parts at the problem. on top of that the problem is in the control circuit not the high current side so he will still be dead in the water.

Jason it is wiring diagram time. I worked on a 2007 with the same issue. There are 49 points that can fail and give you a no start scenario. Troubleshooting it will take time and patience. One thing to try is moving the gear selector while trying to start it.
Not just throwing parts at it, it has 197k miles!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07navi - From reply #28:

5. Jumped 30/87 in the starter relay female ports to start the car. Started up perfect.

Starter is fine even though it has 197k miles on the clock. His problem is an intermittent open on the control side of the starting circuit. One of the first items to check is the digital range selector switch. Now is the time for a factory service manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
Thanks stamp.

So I tried what you said about moving the gear shifter. I moved gear selector from P to N, jiggled it a bit, went back into P, and tried starting the car. It started right up. So I rechecked the 86 in the relay as before but got 12v this time. Sounds like a failing or worn digital range selector? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I think the range selector is internal on your transmission. Not a big deal to change but definitely not one to learn on.

This will give you an idea of what is involved even if your trans is a different model. If you don't know what you're doing and split the valve body in half, you will experience a real bad day.