Solution for frozen locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lube them up... Wd40,. Or better yet fluid film from Lowe's or Napa. Silicone spray on the door seals. And also put the window down and spray the window tracks with 100 percent silcone. Do not use oil based product on door seals... They are foam and will destroy them.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I always have a supply of 98.6 degree warm yellow liquid to defrost the door locks in an emergency situation.

Hahahaha. Love this!

In the "old days" when I lived in Chicago and frozen door locks were the order of the day, if I was at work I'd ask the guy next to me to press in his cigarette lighter (now known as 12v power ports) and when it popped out I would press it against my door lock, which was metal in those days. In seconds I was on my way. However, that won't work when you're at home and no one is parked next to you.

Now you have me thinking. If I use my remote door opener will that eliminate the worry about frozen locks and keys?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hahahaha. Love this!

In the "old days" when I lived in Chicago and frozen door locks were the order of the day, if I was at work I'd ask the guy next to me to press in his cigarette lighter (now known as 12v power ports) and when it popped out I would press it against my door lock, which was metal in those days. In seconds I was on my way. However, that won't work when you're at home and no one is parked next to you.

Now you have me thinking. If I use my remote door opener will that eliminate the worry about frozen locks and keys?
Generally, yes. It really depends on how far the "froze" is inside the door and on the mechanism. The lock motor is pretty powerful, though.

BillAlex

Reaction score
You could always move to Arizona. We went swimming last Christmas. We play golf every day. We once saw that funny white stuff you call snow, but it melted when it hit the ground. I once owned a jacket, but left it in a Restaurant by mistake. Not sure what long sleeve shirts are for, all of mine are short sleeve Nike golf shirts. The Women all wear shorts out here and you have far more visibility when they walk down the street. Expeditions don't fog up out here and the keys always fit right in. We do have a problem finding parking places out her for our Expy's. Seems the horses are lined up at the front door of most establishments and take our spots. So we have to park out back.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sprayed the lubrication jazz in there and on the latch and been good so far. When it gets down in the single digits here in NY those “tough” lock mechanisms and window regulators aren’t so tough any more lol.

On an unrelated note normally my expy used to take a few minutes to idle down if it was below 50. Over the last few months I changed the spark plugs and boots, fuel filter, and engine air filter. I’ve noticed the engine idles down a lot sooner now.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The nicest thing about a remote start is that you can warm up the car and de-ice the windows before you get in it. Really appreciate that stuff in the dead of a 10-degree New York winter at the seashore.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sprayed the lubrication jazz in there and on the latch and been good so far. When it gets down in the single digits here in NY those “tough” lock mechanisms and window regulators aren’t so tough any more lol.

On an unrelated note normally my expy used to take a few minutes to idle down if it was below 50. Over the last few months I changed the spark plugs and boots, fuel filter, and engine air filter. I’ve noticed the engine idles down a lot sooner now.

DuPont has this Teflon chain lubricant stuff, I think is the bees knees.
It comes in a yellow label spraycan and it's great, I mean fanfuckingtastic great. Fairly cheap too, for what it is, plus a little goes a looooooong way.
Will try and find link, and edit post.

EDIT: Oh NOOOOOOO!!!! I think they done changed the formulation, tree huggers must have had an issue with an ingredient, damn it.
The stuff I was referring to made no mention of Wax base, and now all I can find, is a yellow label item with "wax" prominently on the label.
This stuff was so awesome, it dried in no time, and didn't attract dirt, here's an old video of the stuff I'm referring to, hopefully you can still find that exact kind still, but the few places I checked, showed simply unavailable...
Warning, this video starts off LOUD!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nicest thing about a remote start is that you can warm up the car and de-ice the windows before you get in it. Really appreciate that stuff in the dead of a 10-degree New York winter at the seashore.

XLT here, no remote start for me. Hopefully the liquid wrench was the ticket.