SSM 51346 - 2022-2023 Expedition - Liftgate Spoiler Contacting Roof In Freezing Temperatures - Released February 07, 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's all the tailgate can take? A 1/4 of an inch out of adjustment!

Linus

Reaction score
Thank you for posting! After a recent freezing rain event, I heard an incredible crunching sound when opening my liftgate, which I assumed to be the sound of cracking ice around the door seal. That's when I noticed the liftgate spoiler had partially popped off and a portion of the rear window seal was hanging loose. The crunching sound was my liftgate spoiler damaging the roof. After receiving a $4,500 quote from my dealership body shop, along with a suggestion to call my insurer, I went looking online for more information and found this forum. I was very happy to pass along the Special Service details to the dealer and am looking forward to their response! Thanks again!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for posting! After a recent freezing rain event, I heard an incredible crunching sound when opening my liftgate, which I assumed to be the sound of cracking ice around the door seal. That's when I noticed the liftgate spoiler had partially popped off and a portion of the rear window seal was hanging loose. The crunching sound was my liftgate spoiler damaging the roof. After receiving a $4,500 quote from my dealership body shop, along with a suggestion to call my insurer, I went looking online for more information and found this forum. I was very happy to pass along the Special Service details to the dealer and am looking forward to their response! Thanks again!
Don't expect good things. there's other folks on here that have been told to take a hike as the special service announcement appears to have "expired". It's like every older explorer you see driving around with a cracked panel just below the rear glass. It's a nice defect but no one will notice.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Linus: If you have not already, relating to your cold weather damage experience, please review...

2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

...which offers numerous owner's damage photos and varied dealership experiences toward their seeking damage repair under original Ford Bumper-to-Bumper warranty.

Toward the end of that discussion, the removal of Special Service Message 51346 from Ford's online OASIS information system for Dealerships caused some Service personnel to say "What SSM?".

Fortunately, we have a screen-capture of the previous SSM 51346 for you and others to present to Service representatives in order to document Ford's previous direction on how to respond to owners presenting damaged vehicles.

I just checked the Canadian OASIS system and SSM 51346 is also not currently showing there. Of all places, certainly Canadian weather more readily presents the environment that USA owners have found leads to the damage your vehicle has suffered.

Attached below is a PDF of the Special Service Message 51346 screen capture. Please consider printing it and taking it with you when you discuss the issue with Service personnel at your dealership.

Hopefully, the printed document will prompt them to contact Ford of Canada for authorization to repair your vehicle under the BTB warranty coverage, which other owners have achieved.

Good luck!

Attachments

• OASIS Broadcast Message - Special Service Message 51346 - Ford PTS Website - 02-07-2023.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 3