Stereo Upgrade - 2000 Expedition with MACH Premium System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
There was nothing visible underneath the stock head unit btw. Going to pull out the center console as you prescribed. Probably not anytime soon though. Don't have a garage right now :(

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No prob. I have the Ford wiring book, and Mach is described as super sound. It doesn't show a separate 4 chanell amp. We had a member awhile back that said their was. I think I'm going to go by Serramonte Ford, and have him print a Mach Stereo item sheet. Then I and you will know for sure. I'm leaning towards just a built in amp in the head unit itself, with some sort of pre-out jacks that go to the rear sub amp, and speaker.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Vanmor

Reaction score
I've just joined the forum. Been following this thread. My sister in law's 2002 Expedition has had a total Mach system failure. She has a VCR and CD changer in the center console. They don't work either. I've removed the VCR, CD changer, and the radio in the dash. I've disconnected the sub woofer amp in the back. Still blowing the number 1 20 amp fuse. 5 amp radio fuse is OK. Cant find any amplifier in the front under the radio.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got a dead short, probably the head unit in the dash itself. Look around when you pull the items out, you most likely have a pinched wire touching metal.

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Your info was very helpful during the install of a Kenwood DNX574S head unit, Kicker CSC68 & Cerwin Vega V468 speakers, front and rear cameras, and a Rockford Fosgate Prime 10" sub (R2D4) in an MTX enclosure. I'll provide a more complete write up in a separate posting

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Great to hear! Please link us/me to the post when it's done! Did you have to mod the enclosure to fit that R2D4?

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Mach wiring diagram attached. Second amp is definitely under the center console. Part number for the amp is handwritten on the scan.

Attachments

• 201809051128.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 53

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after all the back and forth whether the head unit had a built in power amp, or was in fact a preamp only head unit, it would seem that yes it does have separates. My phone won't let me pull up the PDF you posted. In my 2000 Ford wiring diagram, it showed super sound that didn't list a separate amp under head unit in dash. Thanks for the follow up. 01 expedition did you actually have your hands on that amp when you pulled head unit out?

Reaction score
My vehicle only came with Premium sound (no OEM sub) so there were no additional amplifiers beyond the head unit. I installed an aftermarket monoblock amp and a sub in the factory location. I have a Ford factory wiring manual for 2001 models if anyone needs a schematic.

Hillcz

Reaction score
BLUF: Has anyone solved this mystery of a "2nd Factory Amp" yet?

Background:
2001 Ford Expo EB w/Mach Premium sound system w/audio amp and rear 8" sub w/amp. I have changed out head units twice (2), checked wiring harness and re-crimped wire connections and still have audio fade in/out when volume increases in the FT/BK doors. That being said, the back sub works with no issues --- hmmmm!

I have been searching for this 2nd amp for a few days. I don't really want to pull the entire dashboard/console to just look and if not, that would be a waste of time. However, if someone has laid eye on the 2nd Amp location please let me know. Furthermore, I have found it online (EBAY) but no where does it state/give a location of the amp's whereabouts. I noticed Aeorn, 1955 Moose and 01 ExpoXLT has been chatting about this a while back and wanted to reach out and see if any of you were able to solve this mystery/find a logical solution or work around for not this mystery Amp?

Thanks in advance!