Stop By and Vote for My 78 Cherokee at Cabela's!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do you like that 360? my dads 304 is a PAIN! but only if its not ran in a while.

OP
OP
T

turtlejoe

Reaction score
I have to say that the engine itself is bulletproof. AMC made their engine blocks with the highest nickel content ever in a production block, resulting in super tough cylinder walls. I have 230,000 miles on this one and it doesn't burn oil. It leaks plenty, but none of it is going through the cylinders. The design does have some quirky bits (timing chain cover being chief among those), but if you change the oil and pay attention these things can live very long lives.

What's up with the 304? Same basic engine ... maybe I can help?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its just a pain cause its an iron block and iron heads. takes for ever to heat up. the engine it self as you said is bullet proof. its the 2 barrel ford carb thats the biggest pain. my dad dosent want to get rid of it cause it has been appraised for $10k as it sits with numbers matching carb, engine, chassis and body.

and as for mileage... we dont know cause the speedo cable wasnt working for a while. a while meaning YEARS! haha so we assume it has around 100k on it, but it says 85k? so were going with that. haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

turtlejoe

Reaction score
Shameless bump ... lagging by like a thousand votes, but hoping to get onto the second page for some visibility. Thanks!!