Stranded again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So for the second year in a row our Expedition has stranded us on a ski trip. Same issue as last time (I assume) with seal going out on the transmission.

It's not only that, but we've had it in numerous times for warranty work since we bought it new.

So I guess my question is, what do you guys recommend for a replacement vehicle? Are the newer Expeditions more reliable? (ours is '18) Or what about the new Tahoe/suburban? I've always been a Ford guy but not sure if we want to risk it again after this experience. Thanks in advance.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So for the second year in a row our Expedition has stranded us on a ski trip. Same issue as last time (I assume) with seal going out on the transmission.

It's not only that, but we've had it in numerous times for warranty work since we bought it new.

So I guess my question is, what do you guys recommend for a replacement vehicle? Are the newer Expeditions more reliable? (ours is '18) Or what about the new Tahoe/suburban? I've always been a Ford guy but not sure if we want to risk it again after this experience. Thanks in advance.
It has been like this for years. Sometimes you purchase a car/truck and it is the greatest thing next to sex. Other times you purchase a car/truck and it such a POS you swear you'd walk before you bought another one. It sorta is what it is. Most have minimum problems. I've owned about all brands and most have been good.

Mxer0022

Reaction score
Why is it that every time someone has a problem with their car, whether it be Ford or GM, they always say maybe I'll buy Chevy or a GM or a Ford, whatever the competition is? Like they're really sticking it to which ever manufacturer is giving them the problems. I dont get it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why is it that every time someone has a problem with their car, whether it be Ford or GM, they always say maybe I'll buy Chevy or a GM or a Ford, whatever the competition is? Like they're really sticking it to which ever manufacturer is giving them the problems. I dont get it.

You seriously need this explained to you? No one is trying to stick it to anyone. After spending tens of thousands on a vehicle only to have it continually in the shop people lose faith in the model and/or brand. Sometimes it's just a lemon and other times it's indicative of the model and/or brand. Either way, most consumers will look to another model/brand for their next vehicle. Once the memory fades or they can rationalize a return to the model/brand (new generation, better warranty, etc.) maybe they will return.

I certainly get the frustration with Ford. I've been a Ford guy since 1996. My first Ford was purchased brand new and was easily the worst car I ever owned in terms of reliability. Every Ford thereafter was very reliable - until the Expedition. My Expedition hasn't been awful, but it's been more problematic than any other vehicle my wife or I has owned since 1999 (when I sold that first Ford). Its not like my experience is an isolated one either. The 5.4L 3V simply doesn't have a good reputation. With all of the cam phaser issues on the 4th gens, I don't know that those are going to fare much better.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frustration! I guess you have been lucky and not have had a 65K car/truck being garaged at the dealer for weeks on end. Believe me it really sucks! But that can occur across the board with any brand especially now with a mass of electronics involved.

If you don't want problems buy something old, really old. Something you can fix with a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench, one that has no toys.

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We went and looked around a little today and pretty much decided that if we replace this Expedition, it will be with a '21 or '22 that will hopefully be more reliable.

I grew up on a farm and we have only owned Ford trucks as long as I can remember and off the top of my head I can't think of any of them having any issues at all. This Expedition has been in the shop so many times I can barely remember all of them.

It's just not proving to be reliable enough for us to take very far away from home with 3 kids and a dog piled in the back. This past weekend we barely got a rental car, who knows what we would have done if we couldn't have found one.

We're going to wait to hear back from this dealer (bigger dealer with a specific 10R80 mechanic) to see why this same seal supposedly failed again.

BTW, does it seem strange that we had the same transmission leak almost exactly a year later at the same spot on the interstate (going up I-70 in Colorado towards Eisenhower Tunnel)?? What are the odds of the same seal going out after no problems after one year???

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, does it seem strange that we had the same transmission leak almost exactly a year later at the same spot on the interstate (going up I-70 in Colorado towards Eisenhower Tunnel)?? What are the odds of the same seal going out after no problems after one year???

I'd say nearly impossible odds unless this is an especially steep hill that had your trans working especially hard. One of the state parks we occasionally visit has an 18% grade that goes for miles and my trans gets a good workout by the time we get to the top.