Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smith

Reaction score
I have a 2013 limited with 89000 miles should i need to replace the front struts already?

HardmanGT

Reaction score
yes, 30-40K ago according to some. Foolishly, I have 150k on mine and will have them all swapped out on Wednesday for new ones at all 4 corners. Bilstein up front and new Ford from Tasca at the rear (air suspension doesn't have a lot of options)

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
They're not struts in the Expedition. They are regular shocks inside coil springs. They are not a service item which means there is no recommended service interval. Those who sell them of course recommend regular replacement, however Ford does not. If they leak or no longer dampen road shocks they should be changed.

Bilstein shocks, as Hardman suggests are excellent replacement.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2013 limited with 89000 miles should i need to replace the front struts already?

Quite possible if they ride worse or leak.... people get anywhere from 30k to 180k out of em

Expedition uses coilovers on all 4 corners unless you have air ride

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with waiting too long on shock/strut replacement, besides tire cupping, is your tires loose control on the road. This becomes a safety issue, with the tires bouncing down the road. Years back I was behind a 1980's Ford full sized wagon, the shocks/springs were so worn, the back end was bouncing violently as he headed down the 280 freeway in front of me. Well, loh and behold, his wagon lost control, scared the hell out of me, I was driving my Lincoln then. Swerved to the left, hoping I was being correct, stabbed the throttle, and just made it around him. That guy tried to get his moneys worth out of those shocks. I'm guessing way over 200,000 miles, the way the tail end of that wagon was bouncing.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're not struts in the Expedition. They are regular shocks inside coil springs. They are not a service item which means there is no recommended service interval. Those who sell them of course recommend regular replacement, however Ford does not. If they leak or no longer dampen road shocks they should be changed.

Bilstein shocks, as Hardman suggests are excellent replacement.

Exactly.
These stupid billboard sign with a squirrel in the road telling you to replace your shocks/struts at 50K or whatever is just to sell parts.

If they are not leaking and you can bounce each corner up and down hard multiple times and when you stop, it stops in less than 1.5 bounces....they are fine.

Bilsteins from what I have read give the nicest ride. Monroe gas ones have always beat me to death. I used to buy the cheaper non charged ones on purpose for better ride until the Sensa trak came out. They are decent.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should you need to replace them, NO.
But the OEMs suck. I have a 2015 and mine started leaking at 45k miles.
Will you be much happier when you replace them? Yes.
Bilsteins are on sale for $350 shipped from Stage3motorsports at the moment if you are so inclined.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get your sway bar links done while you're at it, that crap will be toast and have the stiffness of soggy cardboard 95%

buzzie0013

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that my driver side front shock was a bit weepy at around 80k...went with bilsteins on all 4 corners. love the feel now.