Stuck at an intersection, Expedition 2019 won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjohnson425

Reaction score
So this issue happened right after I topped of my gas tank after getting 18 gallons (3 clicks). I have always done this w/o issue. I have heard of the EVAP system on these being touchy. Also in 2019 a Costco in NJ had a bad batch of 93 octane fuel (to much detergent). Wondering if this may be the cause too. I drove maybe 250 yards post fill up. I miss my baby!!! :sad72:

Never “top off” any new vehicles. Once it clicks off it’s done. You will flood the charcoal filtration canister for the EVAP as you have noted . It can be inconsequential right up until it isn’t and your dash will light up like a Christmas tree. Best case it goes into limp mode for a little while . Worst case it dies entirely until the canister is replaced and codes are cleared.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update - Dealer gave me a brand new MY22 Explorer XLT as a loaner this Tuesday (8-16-2022). Still no verdict yet (waiting on the Fuel analysis from the lab they say, sent in on 8-12-2022). :banghead::bawl:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update - Dealer gave me a brand new MY22 Explorer XLT as a loaner this Tuesday (8-16-2022). Still no verdict yet (waiting on the Fuel analysis from the lab they say, sent in on 8-12-2022). :banghead::bawl:
I guess I don't understand. The DTC and it's description don't sound anything like "hey, these sensors were out of spec or the measured value was out of range from the expected value, etc". And I'm just not so sure I believe in this "don't top it off" thing. If in fact there was such a crappy engineering/design element in these that people who have been using cars for decades can no longer fill the tank the same way, there should be a massive red/yellow sticker in the filler door that says - hey idiot, don't top off these tanks or you risk ruining your car.

To that extent, since I've owned mine, I do the same thing TFL truck guys do, fill, click, wait 8, fill, click. Never had an issue. To me, this is like a post I did some time ago where someone responded with a comment like "you're not supposed to use pressure washers on these or you'll get leaks". If that's the case, Ford should stick to making venilators...

And what happens if the fuel test comes back with an issue? Ford wipes their hands, you as the consumer can't really do anything about it, you will have a hard time proving that the fuel was tainted and likely can't get anything from the vendor.

Sorry DWs, you've always been a big help for me, sorry to see you go through this. I mean, did they check the battery and grounds, lol. Seems to be the fix for a lot of stuff on these.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand. The DTC and it's description don't sound anything like "hey, these sensors were out of spec or the measured value was out of range from the expected value, etc". And I'm just not so sure I believe in this "don't top it off" thing. If in fact there was such a crappy engineering/design element in these that people who have been using cars for decades can no longer fill the tank the same way, there should be a massive red/yellow sticker in the filler door that says - hey idiot, don't top off these tanks or you risk ruining your car.

To that extent, since I've owned mine, I do the same thing TFL truck guys do, fill, click, wait 8, fill, click. Never had an issue. To me, this is like a post I did some time ago where someone responded with a comment like "you're not supposed to use pressure washers on these or you'll get leaks". If that's the case, Ford should stick to making venilators...

And what happens if the fuel test comes back with an issue? Ford wipes their hands, you as the consumer can't really do anything about it, you will have a hard time proving that the fuel was tainted and likely can't get anything from the vendor.

Sorry DWs, you've always been a big help for me, sorry to see you go through this. I mean, did they check the battery and grounds, lol. Seems to be the fix for a lot of stuff on these.

I called my Ford service advisor last Friday (8-19-2022). He said they have done no trouble shooting (no DTC code reader) steps at ALL & will not until they get the fuel analysis back from the lab. I was like WHY!?! He said since they have to go under the 10R80 trans and put it in neutral to get it in the garage where they have no free bays is why & that COVID staffing shortages & supply chain issues (same old tired excuses). The lab for the fuel test is another shop with the same COVID issues he said too. The waiting game continues.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This simply makes no sense. As long as your battery is decent, they should be able to put it in "stay in neutral mode". Every vehicle has to have a way of going into neutral even if it won't start, otherwise you'd destroy every vehicle out there when/if they need to be towed.

So sorry for your issues, the excuses really are getting old.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The cap-less designed tanks have overflow protection built in. If you keep trying to fill it, it will start leaking out of the overflow. I had this same thing on an explorer, only found it because I was filling up with a 5 gallon jug to change out some fuel after mowing season and forgot I filled up the day before.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This simply makes no sense. As long as your battery is decent, they should be able to put it in "stay in neutral mode". Every vehicle has to have a way of going into neutral even if it won't start, otherwise you'd destroy every vehicle out there when/if they need to be towed.

So sorry for your issues, the excuses really are getting old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9uncVJM-kM&list=LL&index=38

^Checkout that video, putting our EXPYs in emergency mode neutral. Also, I put a brand new AGM OEM spec'ed Die Hard battery in this April.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9uncVJM-kM&list=LL&index=38

^Checkout that video, putting our EXPYs in emergency mode neutral. Also, I put a brand new AGM OEM spec'ed Die Hard battery in this April.
So I'm still curious though, seems to me like the stay in neutral mode would also work, as long as the battery is good. This sort of makes me a little ill, every automatic I've had for decades had a neutral safety release, usually in the center console just for these issues. I'm surprised they are allowed to make things this difficult. I mean geez, take this guys example, vehicle dead in middle of the street, now you tell an owner or someone else to crawl under a vehicle, to engage a mechanical neutral switch, which could take 10-15 minutes depending on skid plates, etc. what happens if that vehicle is hit by someone and kills the person under it?

Crazy stuff, thanks for sending this along.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here’s the update I got from my Ford Server writer this afternoon:

“Fairway Ford - fuel came back good. Looks like vehicle has jumped timing. Bank 1 completely dead. Possible broken phaser or timing chain. Engine tech will have to dissect. Stay in rental. I know you miss your vehicle - trying to get it back on the road for you ”

Looking like I might, if I’m lucky, get my ride back in time for trick or treating with the kiddos.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another week gone by and service advisor says no update. Expy has been sitting there since Aug 9. :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65