Sumo spring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a 2023 Limited with the SPP, HD towing, and CCD suspension. Has anyone put Sumo springs into this combination yet? Towing a 7000 pound 27 foot travel trailer, I am installing Michelin Defender 18” LT 275/65 tires this week and hoping for a little better highway behavior in windy and wet conditions.

I was pretty impressed with the numbers - the stock Grabbers have a weight rating of 2603 pounds and the Defenders are 3418 - 800 pounds EACH more capacity. This should be a beast with those tires alone.

I found a set of 2015 Expedition pull off wheels locally for $300 and getting them painted black to match the SPP blackout scheme. I will post before/after pics when I get it done.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had mine on for better part of 2 years. No issues, I have a plati with HD towing, CCD, etc. Definitely helped when i pulled a travel trailer a year ago @ 7500 dry and recently a 3 ton dump trailer. But granted, both of those had good weight dispersion and were multi-axle. I think it actually helped stiffen things up a bit, but just to be clear I also have the rear sway bar upgraded, so both items have probably helped a bit.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest visiting a scale to get the WDH setup correct and making sure your tires are properly inflated for the load.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with both suggestions regarding stability. Sway bars and correctly setting up a good WDH will make a huge difference. I purchased Sumo springs but didn't need them after the Hellwig sway bars and Weigh Safe hitch.