Superchargers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thestiffone

Reaction score
Have Ben curious about this for a while now but would a stock lighting supercharger fit my 99 4.6 expy from a 99 lighting. If not recommendations on good choice for supercharging.

daoud elmassri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it will u have to do alot more to it thou . If u go with a eaton or Roush or edelbrock prices very . How many miles do u have on your truck now.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The lightning supercharger will not work with the 4.6. The intake/valley is much wider on the 5.4 vs 4.6 so it will not physically fit.

This question has been asked many times here and the only supercharger assembly I have seen currently listed online specifically for 1st gen 4.6 expeditions is from pro-charger.

ProCharger Truck Supchargers

Other manufacturers made kits at one time but they all seemed to have dropped them likely due to low demand.

You may be able to adapt a 2v 4.6 mustang kit to your expy so you might do some research there. I would suggest calling the manufacturer of whatever kit to ask what the differences may be. I would imagine you may be on your own as far as a tune/program is concerned if necessary.

Last edited:

daoud elmassri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I beg a difrence yes a eton supercharger will fit there is a after market plates that bolt to the heads so that u can install the supercharger to .M.M.R makes the adapter plates go to tbere web site .I was going to do this before I bot my doner truck with the 5.4 .

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I beg a difrence yes a eton supercharger will fit there is a after market plates that bolt to the heads so that u can install the supercharger to .M.M.R makes the adapter plates go to tbere web site .I was going to do this before I bot my doner truck with the 5.4 .

Please provide a link to the item you are describing because I believe you are incorrect. Yes they sell adapter plates but nothing for the application in question. I have seen 4.6 intake to 5.4 adapter plates but not the other way around.

I could not find one to mount a lightning supercharger assembly to a 4.6 2v motor on their website so for the hell of it I called MMR and asked. They told me they do not sell such an item. I have also never seen a case where this swap has been done. Many lightning engines in mustangs but all are the 5.4.

I would certainly apologize if they do but my research says otherwise.

The photo on the left gives you an idea on the difference in size of the valley between a 5.4 and 4.6.

54crop_zps93bfca11.jpg

My 5.4 valley with the heads installed.

54builtblock001.jpg

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a supercharged 4.6 and up being slightly more HP than a 5.4?
I would think time and money would be better spent swapping the 4.6 for a 5.4 then tossing the SC on it. The good news, all of the Lightning stuff would then be available!
Or, do a v-10 conversion. Personally I would rather do the v-10 swap. Just the thought of a v-10 in my Expy gives me wood. ;)

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe this guy is thinking of the cobra Eaton even though it wont fit either lol. Just pull it and put a L motor in and call her good.

daoud elmassri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I am positive the pacer plates that MMR make fit a 4.6 . What do u want someone to do all your work for u u need to do the same as I did do a lot of reading and a lot of research before u make a decision . No one helped me . I fond a doner truck amd pulled it all apart sold of most of the parts I sid not need . It came with 5.4 had 31, 000 miles on it bot it for 1, 000 dollars . Then I took my truck apart I took out the 4.6 it 157, 000 miles on her no compression . I installed 5.4 4WR transmission & Transfercase . Front&rear excel . I do now what I am talking a out becquse J& M Motor Sport r the ones who told me abot MMR plates they did not now the name so I went to computer q d started my search . Do your own re search u wont go wrong .

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the difference between the L motor and an Expy motor?

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker