Sway Bar Rattle?? (New Links)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know my way around suspension but I haven't been able to figure this out.

Started getting the typical worn out sway bar bushing noise when driving over anything uneven (like two pool balls knocking together). Links are basically new with less than 2k miles on them. Bushings look good and are tight. All bolts are torqued to spec. Also I have fully rebuilt and aligned front end with new struts all around.

If I remove one of the sway bar links the noise stops so I know for sure this noise is coming from the sway bar somehow. It seems like it comes from around where the bushings are on both driver and passenger sides, front. Looking for any thoughts or advise because this has really got me stumped.

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This should be an easy one.....rubber mallet and start whacking away on the sway bar links and mounts. When you hit the right spot you will know it.

I had an Aerostar that had bad control arm bushings. Made a sound like you are describing so I would check those also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Already tried tapping on it and pulling to get it to make the sound and it's all solid. Will check LCA bushings. Front pass lower control arm I replaced with Moog and both upper control arms as well so I'll do some more searching. But if there is no noise when a sway bar link is removed then could it really be a control arm bushing?

Also what are these metal cylinders on the sway bar near the bushings?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had bad ball joints when i had sounds something like this...not pool balls but a lot of noise...i thought i didn't tighten something since it started immediately after i upgraded my anti-sway bars and changed the sway links...

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gonna lift it tomorrow and check everything thoroughly. I would be surprised if anything is worn with basically no miles since rebuild but it's worth looking.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looked over everything thoroughly and all suspension parts are tight, bushings too. If I grab front passenger tire at 9 and 3 I found I slight knocking sound, not in the outer or inner tie rod end but I think it's coming from the rack. Took out the sway bar link again because I can't stand the sound. Not really sure what to do yet.

flyin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you checking the sway bar bushings on the ground or with the vehicle lifted. Sometimes bad bushings only show up on the ground with someone rocking it from side to side